Everyone is Model! 9 Best Camera for Fashion Photography
Mariotama – Are you looking for the best camera for fashion photography? Whether it is for fun or professional purpose, you will need to get the best product for sure.
Some factors may determine how a camera great for a fashion shooting. The first one is the opportunity to choose compatible lenses.
Besides, the camera’s small weight is often desirable as well, particularly for a fashion show. The battery life of the camera is another essential factor to consider.
So, which camera is in demand for fashion photography? I will try to answer this question by giving you a short review of seven cameras typically used for fashion or commercial photography. Let us check them out!
9 Best Camera for Fashion Photography
1. Best for Night: Canon EOS 5D Mark III
- 30.4 MegaPixel full frame CMOS sensor for versatile shooting
- Up to 7.0 frames per second continuous shooting speed
- 61 point AF system with 41 cross points for expanded vertical coverage
- ISO range 100 32000 with 50 102400 expansion
- 4K video recording at 30p or 24p and in camera still frame grab of 8.8 MegaPixel images
It is safe to say that Canon EOS 5D Mark III is one of the most prominent cameras for fashion photography. It offers a full-frame CMOS sensor with a great image resolution of 22.3 megapixels.
Another notable function of this camera would be its excellent focusing. It even works perfectly in low light conditions. This ability makes this camera highly comfortable for shooting events or night fashion shows.
You can consider using Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 L USM lens to be a soft blur and a narrow depth of field with this EOS 5D Mark III.
- It has a magnesium case with moisture protection elements.
- It offers excellent viewfinder that provides lots of information.
- It comes with two slots of memory card.
- This camera is a small weight and it typically fits in a small bag.
- There is small-batch volume when capturing in RAW + JPEG
- The HDMI signal is not very clear.
2. Best for Beginners: Pentax K-70
- 24.24 effective megapixel, APS C AA filter less CMOS sensor with ISO from 100 204800
- Dustproof and weather resistant with In body “SR” shake reduction mechanism
- Vary angle LCD monitor with Night vision red light LCD display
- Built in Wi Fi for use with Image Sync app; SAFOX X 11 Point AF with 9 Cross Sensors
- Pixel Shift Resolution with Motion Correction AA Filter Simulator: Moré reduction using "SR" unit and Pixel Shift Resolution with Motion Correction
This is the best camera for fashion photography, which is recommended for beginners. It is very simple and pleasant to work with. That is why it makes a good option for novice photographers.
It offers dustproof and weather-resistant functionality with in-body SR shake reduction mechanism. Besides, it has an impressive image stabilization that helps prevent camera shake even at improved exposure and great focal lengths.
You can use Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM Art for a perfect street and studio photography with this camera.
- It offers a remarkable image resolution of 24.24 megapixels.
- Efficient Pixel Shift technology supports it.
- The camera has excellent autofocus with phase detection.
- It has been supported by built-in Wi-Fi
- Pentax K70 comes with a completely weather-resistant and cold proof design to resist water, snow, dust, sand, and fog.
- It shows a short burst shooting.
- The video mode is not good.
3. Best for DSLR: Canon EOS 5D Mark II
- 21.1-megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor, 14-bit A/D conversion, wide range ISO setting 100-6400
- Body only, lenses sold separately,1-Year Canon U.S.A. Limited Warranty
- DIGIC 4 Image Processor; high-performance 3.9 fps continuous shooting; Live View Function for stills
- Full HD video capture at 1920x1080 resolution for up to 4GB per clip ; HDMI output
- Updated EOS Integrated Cleaning System specifically designed to work with a full-frame sensor
If you are looking for the best camera with impressive picture quality, Canon 5D Mark II is on the top list. I can say that it has the clearest photos among the others. It creates clear images at all ISO ranges.
The shooting functions include a 9-point autofocus system with six extra invisible Assist AF points, new Creative Auto Mode, and HD video capture. All these functions make Canon 5D Mark II a perfect camera for fashion photography.
Some users criticize about how this camera makes the picture too sharp. However, if you are doing fashion photography and typically taking pictures of a large format, it would be an advantage. Canon EOS 5D Mark II is available on Amazon.
- It produces excellent shots, even at high ISO.
- This camera promotes quick and precise autofocus system.
- There is an electronic level function to make sure the camera is horizontal.
- It also has a long battery life.
- Its monitor is not rotatable, so it may reduce the LiveView Mode potential.
- The image stabilizer isn’t built-in
4. Best for Low Price: Nikon D3300
- 24.2 MP CMOS DX format sensor
- 5 frames per second continuous shooting
- 11 AF points with 3D tracking
- ISO 100 12800 (expandable to 25600)
- 1080 (60, 50, 30, 25, 24 fps) HD video (MPEG 4/H.264/MOV).The D3300's 11 point Autofocus System locks onto your subjects as soon as they enter the frame and stays with them until you catch the shot you want.
Nikon D3300 is the best camera for fashion photography since it provides good portrait functionality. It features vibrant, bright colors with precise tones. It even makes good pictures with no overnight flight effect when using a flash. It saves time during picture editing.
This camera features fast focusing and excellent shutter response. That is why I can say that Nikon D3300 is one of the excellent cameras at a low price. It works great with Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED if you need the camera for fashion photography. You can get it on Amazon.
- Nikon D3300 is very user-friendly and has long battery life.
- It is an entry-level DSLR with a huge sensor, making it ideal for fashion photography.
- It promotes decent picture quality.
- The UI does not work as great as expected.
- Nikon D3300 only has one slot for SD card.
5. Best for a Budget: Canon EOS 70D
- 20.2 MP APS-C CMOS sensor and DIGIC 5+
- 19 point cross-type AF System
- Up to 7 fps shooting
- ISO 100-12800, expandable to 25600
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF for fast focus in live view and video
If you have more budgets and want something slightly better than Nikon D3300, Canon EOS 70D can be a great choice. This camera is already designed with dust- and moisture-proof body. It also comes with the ultra-quick and precise autofocus system.
A 20.2-megapixel CMOS sensor identifies Canon EOS 70D, which forms a combination with the DIGIC 5+ image processor. It makes a powerful combination to create qualitative images with fantastic detail and fine clarity. As a result, clothes and fabrics look bright and more appealing.
Canon EOS 70D is available on Amazon.
- It has a rotatable two-axis display, which extends the functionality of LiveView modes.
- It comes with touch screen with a large number of prompts.
- This camera is highly responsive.
- This camera only supports single memory card slot.
- The battery is relatively fast to discharge.
6. Best for Professionals: Canon EOS 7D Mark II
- 20.2 MP CMOS sensor and ISO 100-16000
- High speed continuous shooting up to 10.0 fps
- 65-point all cross-type AF system
- Stunning Full HD video with Custom Movie Servo AF (speed and sensitivity)
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF enables you to shoot video like a camcorder
Many camera enthusiasts consider Canon EOS 7D Mark II as the best choice for fashion photography. It is due to the ability to focus on the object without any issue. In addition, its autofocus is very quick, making it perfect to work with moving models at shows.
Moreover, this best camera for fashion photography can accomplish a burst speed of 10 frames per second. This feature is enough to work with the model in a studio. Canon EOS 7D Mark II is available on Amazon.
- It provides advanced ergonomics and fine control setups.
- It has an optical viewfinder with a bounty of shooting information.
- The battery life is very long.
- It offers two card slots, which are compatible to either SD or CF card.
- It does not support touch screen control.
- The screen is unable to rotate.
7. Best for Mirrorless: Sony a9
- World’s first Full-frame stacked CMOS sensor w/ integrated memory
- World’s first blackout-free continuous shooting up to 20 fps
- Silent, vibration-free, anti-distortion shutter up to 1/32,000 sec.
- 693 Phase Detection AF points over 93% frame coverage. Operating Temperature - 32 - 104 degrees F / 0 - 40 degrees C
- In-the-box: Power cord, Cable Protector, AC Adaptor, Battery Charger BC-QZ1, Shoulder strap, Body cap, Accessory shoe cap, Eyepiece cup, Micro USB cable
People consider Sony a9 as the best camera for fashion photography since it offers details and precise color rendering. The colors are vivid and rich, making it perfect for fashion and beauty photography.
Moreover, its shooting functions are based on a brand new full-frame multi-layer CMOS matrix. It can also reach up to 20 fps in full resolution with tracking autofocus. This feature is enjoyable to shooting fashion show and dynamics scenes. It can reach up to 20 fps in full resolution.
This Sony a9 is available on Amazon at the priciest option on the list.
- It comes with moisture- and dust-proof metal body.
- It still offers excellent details at low and medium ISO.
- This camera makes excellent pictures even in low light conditions.
- It offers dual media slots.
- At ISO above 6400, it is recommended to shoot in RAW for the best results.
- Its battery life is lower than the majority of high-end SLR cameras.
8. Best with Wi-Fi: Nikon D7100
- 24.1 megapixed DX-format image sensor
- Shoot up to 6 frames per second for up to 100 continuous shots
- Wireless sharing and control with WU-1a adapter (not included)
- ISO range from 100 to 6400
- 1080p videos with full-time autofocus and built-in stereo mic
When it comes to fashion photography, you should not forget Nikon D7100. This is another perfect option for commercial photography and fashion shooting.
It comes with many useful functions including 24.1 megapixels DX-format image sensors, wireless sharing, and 1080 videos with a built-in stereo microphone. This camera is capable to shoot six frames per second in the RAW + JPG format. Nikon D7100 is available on Amazon.
- Detailing and color rendition of this camera are excellent.
- It offers fast autofocus and high burst speed.
- It comes with a flexible automatic ISO setting.
- This camera does a great job in low light conditions.
- It comes with two slots for memory cards and built-in Wi-Fi.
- Its control options might be hard for a beginner.
- Buttons for ISO and white balance are on the left side.
9. Best with Video: Canon EOS Rebel T7i
- 242 Megapixel CMOS (APS C) sensor
- Built in Wi Fi, NFC and Bluetooth Lens used: EF S 18 55 millimeter f/4 56 IS STM (at focal length of 55 millimeter)
- High Speed continuous shooting at up to 60 fps Weight Approx 1877 ounce / 532 grams (including battery pack and SD memory card) Approx 1711 ounce / 485 gram (body only)
- Metering Range: EV 1 20 (room temperature, ISO 100, evaluative metering)
Do you want the best camera for fashion photography that makes a good video as well? Canon EOS Rebel T7i makes a great choice.
It comes with a speedy processor and an impressive 24.2 megapixels sensor. These features make EOS Rebel T7i an ideal camera for fashion photography. It makes a good camera to shoot moving models as well. That is why you can consider bringing it to fashion shows.
Canon EOS Rebel T7i is available on Amazon.
- The Dual Pixel CMOS AF autofocus is excellent for shooting video.
- It comes with screen assistant mode for novice photographers.
- It has a wide dynamic range.
- Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and NFC modules support this camera.
- The screen assistant mode is helpful for beginners.
- It might not be the biggest frame coverage in the viewfinder.
- The manual white balance setup is a bit lacking.
What should I consider when selecting the best camera for fashion photography?
There are some main factors to consider, such as ISO range, flash sync, battery life, and focus system.
Why ISO Range is important for fashion camera?
It is not probably the most essential point, but a decent ISO range is desirable when it comes to fashion photography. ISO 100 is typically the lowest value in the rate. It makes it possible to regulate the light setup on the camera, so it completely corresponds to the selected aperture.
Is the camera’s ability to focus important for fashion photography?
Yes, it is. Fashion photography typically requires from 15 to 30 AF points. A number bigger than 30 is a plus. Nevertheless, keep in mind that shooting environment may determine the results too.
Is Canon or Nikon better for fashion photography?
The answer may vary since both Canon and Nikon are a great brand on the market. They both have good compatibility with older gear and show impressive performance.
Are mirrorless cameras better than DSLR for fashion photography?
It depends on your taste and needs. Mirrorless cameras have the benefit of being lighter and compact, yet it has less access to lenses and accessories. On the other hand, DSLRs have the benefit in lens collection, but they are generally bulkier and more complex.
What cameras do professional photographers use?
Many professional photographers use high-end Nikon or Canon DSLRs for fashion photography and other matters. However, they are open to other cameras too.
Why are DSLR cameras for fashion photography considerably expensive?
This is because DSLR cameras come with expensive sensor and processor. Similar to computers and smartphones, DSLR cameras have processors and microchips. Moreover, these features are made of costly materials.
Is buying an expensive DSLR worthy for fashion photography?
If you are keen to fashion photography and planning to be a professional photographer, it is worth it.
Lastly, which one is the most recommended camera for fashion photography? Overall, the Canon EOS 7D Mark II becomes my top pick on the list. This camera is ideal for both professional and novice photographers.
This EOS 7D Mark II also offers the best value for the money. In addition, all its shooting functions are excellent for high-quality work with both still and moving models. It also receives many positive reviews from its users.
That is all my brief review of the best camera for fashion photography. Hope you all like it and find your best camera soon!
Last update on 2019-12-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API