Snap A Divine! 10 Best Camera for Nature Photography
Mariotama – There is nothing more rewarding like spending time in nature and taking photographs. Whether it is a wonderful waterfall or wild animals, you can always capture some incredible pictures outdoor. Of course, you will need the best camera for nature photography to make the most of them.
Having the right gear is crucial to a successful nature photography shooting. You should be well prepared and start with choosing a good camera that is designed for the task. So, which camera should you choose for nature photography?
To help you, I have put together some of the best cameras across diverse categories and budgets. Read on to meet your best match!
10 Best Camera for Nature Photography
1. Best Compact: Nikon D5500
- 24.2 MP DX-format CMOS sensor with no optical low-pass filter (OLPF)
- 39-point Autofocus (AF) system
- 5 frames per second continuous shooting
- ISO 100 - 25,600
- High resolution, vari-angle LCD with familiar, smartphone-like touchscreen for easy use
Nikon D5500 is an excellent DSLR for those on a budget. It comes with a compact design, yet it performs very well to capture nature and wildlife. It also offers all the features you will want from a modern camera.
Its shooting functions include 39-point autofocus system, 1080/60 HD video capability, and many more. If you are a beginner in nature photography, it makes an excellent choice as well.
The camera has featured built-in Wi-Fi and smartphone compatibility as well. Thus, it allows quick transfer to a compatible smartphone or tablet. You can get Nikon D5500 on Amazon.
- It offers impressive 24-megapixel sensor.
- It delivers incredible image quality and ISO range.
- 3-inch touch screen is available with flip and rotate capability.
- This camera has a night vision mode.
- The speeds of Live View focus are somewhat slow.
- Wi-Fi connectivity is a bit basic.
2. Best Stylish: Canon PowerShot SX710 HS
- 30x Optical Zoom (25-750mm)
- 20.3 Megapixel High-Sensitivity CMOS sensor combined with the DIGIC 6 Image Processor
- Built-in Wi-Fi allows wireless transferring of images and video to compatible mobile devices
- Capture stunning 1080p Full HD video (60p/30p/24p options) with a dedicated movie button
- Large 3.0-inch LCD with a screen resolution of 922,000 dots allows easy viewing even from a wide angle
Canon PowerShot SX710 HS is a budget point-and-shoot camera. It is lightweight and compact but still offers an incredible image quality. Its shooting functions include 30x zoom lens, wide-angle feature, and 1080p Full HD video capture at 60fps.
This camera offers everything you need from the best camera for nature photography. Its 20-megapixel sensor delivers impressive pictures across the zoom range. Moreover, built-in Wi-Fi, which allows easy and quick sharing support it. Canon PowerShot SX710 HS is available on Amazon.
- This camera is a good choice on a tight budget.
- Its 30 times zoom lens is helpful in nature photography.
- It delivers great color and exposure.
- This camera is reliable to capture moving objects even on zoom.
- It does not provide a panoramic mode.
- The quality may drop off towards the frame edge.
3. Best Speed: Sony RX100
- Approximately 20.1 megapixels , Exmor CMOS Sensor, 28-100mm equivalent F/18-49 lens, ISO 125-6400 Expandable ISO 80, 100, and 25,600, 3-Inch LCD screen with 12M dots
- Operating temperature:Approx. 0°C to 40°C (32F° to 104F°).1080p video, Steady-Shot image stabilization,Rear control dial and customizable front control ring
- Burst Mode (shots)-Approx10 fps,(VGA) Moving Image Size -640x480 30fps Approx3Mbps. Flash range:ISO Auto: approximately 0.3 meter to 17.1 meter (W), approximately 0.55 meter to 6.3 meter (T)
- Bright F18 Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T lens with 36x zoom, Full HD 1080/60p video with manual control and dual record, ,Ultra-slim, sophisticated aluminum body. Extensive features in a sleek camera
- Dimension: 1016 mm x 581 mm x 359 mm, Weight: 213g (75 oz). Exposure Compensation: +/- 3.0 EV, 1/3 EV step
Sony RX100 is another point-and-shoot camera with impressive quality, making it an excellent candidate for the best camera in capturing nature.
This camera might be small and compact, yet it houses several amazing features and performance, such as 3.6x Carl Zeiss zoom lens and the 20.1-megapixel sensor. Its shooting functions include Intelligent Auto, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, and some others.
Sony RX100 is available on Amazon.
- It is compact and lightweight, perfect for slipping into your travel bag.
- This RX100 comes with an affordable price.
- This camera is highly recommended for beginners who are just starting with nature photography.
- Updated models are available. Some have advanced features like 4K video capture and an electronic viewfinder.
- It does not have Wi-Fi connectivity.
4. Best Mirrorless: Sony Alpha a6500
- 24.2MP APS-C Exmor sensor w/ advanced processing up to ISO 51.200
- Wide 425 phase detection AF points, Fast 0.05 sec. AF acquisition
- 5-axis in-body image stabilization steadies every lens. Silent Shooting. Noise Reduction :Long exposure NR: On/Off, available at shutter speeds longer than 1 sec., High ISO NR: Normal/Low/Off
- 11fps continuous shooting to 269 frames at 24.2MP w/ AE/AF tracking
- 4K movie w/ 2.4x oversampling4, full pixel readout, no pixel binning
If you prefer mirrorless camera, Sony Alpha a6500 would be a great option. This best camera for nature photography has fantastic autofocus and a weather-resistant body.
The Alpha a6500’s shooting functions include 4K video capture and one-time optical zoom. Then, both photo and video results seem great even in low light conditions. I can say that all its functions and features will serve you well when taking nature photographs.
Sony Alpha a6500 is available on Amazon.
- It features a 3-inch adjustable touch screen monitor.
- It offers in-body stabilization, which compensates hand movement and camera shake.
- It makes impressive videos too.
- You can get excellent pictures without adding an extra lens.
- The price is rather high. You can get a good DSLR for a similar cost.
5. Best Autofocus: Canon EOS Rebel T7i
- 242 Megapixel CMOS (APS C) sensor
- Built in Wi Fi, NFC and Bluetooth Lens used: EF S 18 55 millimeter f/4 56 IS STM (at focal length of 55 millimeter)
- High Speed continuous shooting at up to 60 fps Weight Approx 1877 ounce / 532 grams (including battery pack and SD memory card) Approx 1711 ounce / 485 gram (body only)
- Metering Range: EV 1 20 (room temperature, ISO 100, evaluative metering)
On the mid-range DSLR categories, there is Canon Rebel T7i, which produces impressive nature photography. This camera does everything you’ll want from a nature photography point of view.
This is mostly thanks to its powerful 24-megapixel sensor, excellent dynamic range, and great live view performance. Besides, this camera also offers many useful video features, making it a good recommendation for beginner cinematographers as well.
Moreover, this camera is considerably smaller and lighter than its high-end cousins are. This is advantageous if you travel a lot to take nature photographs. Canon EOS Rebel T7i is available on Amazon.
- It delivers the brilliant image quality and color reproduction.
- This camera offers outstanding autofocus performance.
- It also has powerful Live View performance.
- The price is rather high for a mid-range DSLR, but the quality is worth the money.
6. Best Sharpness: Canon EOS 5DS R
- LPF (Low-pass filter) effect cancellation takes full advantage of the original resolving power of the 50.6 effective megapixels CMOS sensor, delivering even higher resolution images.
- Newly designed 50.6 Megapixel full-frame CMOS helps deliver ultra-high resolution images
- EOS Scene Detection System features a 150,000-pixel RGB+IR Metering Sensor.Purchase this product between May 1, 2016 and July 30, 2016 and get 13 months of free damage protection from Canon. The product must be registered within 30 days of the purchase date to be eligible.
- 61-Point High Density Reticular AF including up to 41 cross-type AF points and EOS iTR.Advanced mirror control mechanism and new user-selectable shutter release time lag
- Aspect ratio:3:2. Working temperature range 32-104°F/0-40°C
The EOS 5DS R is a full-frame sensor camera. This means quality is its priority. The highlight would be its impressive 50.6-megapixel resolution. This is considered as the biggest pixel amount of any DSLR cameras out there.
As you know, a powerful resolution is essential in nature photography. This means you can capture superb amounts of detail. This camera also features 61-Point High-Density Reticular AF and EOS Scene Detection System.
Besides, it also offers quick and easy transfer with its USB 3.0 capability. You can also count on its Wi-Fi function for wireless transfer. Canon EOS 5DS R is available on Amazon.
- It comes with a solid rig, helping the users capture the most detailed landscape images.
- It comes with a spectacular resolution with a low-pass filter effect cancellation.
- This camera has a smart and well-informed viewfinder.
- The price of this EOS 5DS R is very expensive.
- There is a newer product available.
7. Best Performance: Nikon D5
- 20.8MP FX-Format CMOS Sensor
- EXPEED 5 Image Processor
- 3.2" 2.36m-Dot Touchscreen LCD Monitor
- 4K UHD Video Recording at 30 fps
- Multi-CAM 20K 153-Point AF System
When it comes to the best camera for nature photography, Nikon D5 should be mentioned for sure. This camera is known for its fantastic ability for wildlife and sports photography.
This full-frame flagship camera from Nikon has the widest ISO range on the market with its 100 – 102400. This feature allows the camera to take images in various lighting conditions. Other shooting functions are helpful for nature photography as well. You can find Nikon D5 on Amazon.
- It offers three distinctive RAW file types.
- This camera comes with a 153-point phase-detection AF system.
- It supports 4K UHD video recording at 30fps.
- It offers a high-performance sensor for low light conditions.
- The price of Nikon D5 is considerably costly.
- This camera weighs 3.1 lbs, making it one of the bulkiest cameras on the market today.
8. Best Specification: Sony Alpha a7R III
- INCREDIBLE DETAIL: Shoot high speed subjects at up to 10fps with continuous, accurate AF/AE tracking
- OPTIMAL LIGHT: A back illuminated Exmor R CMOS sensor with gapless on chip lens collects more light. Operating Temperature: 32 to 104 degrees Fahrenheit / 0 to 40 degrees Celsius
- FASTER IMAGE PROCESSING: An updated BIONZ X processing engine boosts processing speeds up to 1.8x
- STUNNING HD VIDEO: Sony Alpha 7R 3 mirror less cameras record clear 4K video for editing and viewing
- BUNDLE INCLUDES: Power cord, charger, cable protector, shoulder strap, body/shoe caps, eyepiece cup.Metering Type:1200 zone evaluative metering
This is another mirrorless camera, which you can count on for nature and wildlife photography. Its shooting functions include a 42-megapixel sensor, 399-point autofocus system, and 100-32000 ISO range.
The 10fps continuous shooting speed of this Alpha a7R III is fascinating. Although it is not as quick as the Nikon D5, it does not have a profound buffer. This camera can shoot 76 frames before running out of breath. You can find this Sony Alpha a7R III on Amazon.
- It has an updated BIONZ X processor for faster image processing.
- This camera also offers a fantastic HD video.
- It supports dual card slots with one of them compatible with UHS-II type.
- Its image quality, pixel shift, and high resolution make it a remarkable nature photography camera.
- It is somehow difficult to delete files from both memory cards.
- The price is rather high.
9. Best Canon Seller: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
- 30.4 MegaPixel full frame CMOS sensor for versatile shooting
- Up to 7.0 frames per second continuous shooting speed
- 61 point AF system with 41 cross points for expanded vertical coverage
- ISO range 100 32000 with 50 102400 expansion
- 4K video recording at 30p or 24p and in camera still frame grab of 8.8 MegaPixel images
If you are a professional photographer looking for a reliable camera for nature photography, Canon EOS 5D Mark IV can be a great option. This is a superb camera with a 30.4-megapixel sensor and upgraded DIGIC 6+ image processor.
Higher-resolution offers you a chance to shoot wide and then crop it later when being lazy at times. However, it might not capture many details. Its 61 phase-detection AF points would be desirable for nature photographer as well. Canon EOS 5D Mark IV is available on Amazon.
- This camera comes with high optical sensor resolution.
- It has a touch screen LCD monitor.
- It supports 4K video recording.
- It has fewer frames per second compared to other cameras on its class.
10. Best Enthusiast DSLR: Nikon D7200
- 24.2MP DX-Format CMOS Sensor.
- Full HD 1080p Video Recording at 60 fps.
- Multi-CAM 3500 II DX 51-Point AF Sensor.
- In-Camera Time Lapse, Up to 9,999 Frames.
- Brand New in original box with all manufacture accessories, MAY come in kit box where lens is taken out.
Nikon D7200 is one of the most reliable cameras with lots of positive reviews. This camera is suitable for both beginner and professional photographers. Interestingly, it is a budget camera, so it will not break the bank.
Its shooting function includes manual mode with a variety of features and capabilities. It can capture 7fps in continuous high-speed mode and deliver stunning time-lapse movies. Then, its higher ISO and new live view features make it worthier than the older variant.
Nikon D7200 gains high rates on Amazon.
- This camera owns very extensive battery life. It can capture more than 1,110 photos in one battery cycle.
- It comes with built-in Wi-Fi and NFC for easy sharing.
- This model offers better dynamic range and weather sealing.
- This model was released in 2015, making it lacking built-in image stabilization.
- There is no tilt screen.
What is the best type of camera for nature photography? Is it a point-and-shoot camera, mirrorless, or DSLR?
Since each type of camera offers its pros and cons, the right type of camera for you may be different from others. The best camera for nature photography should be the one that suits your need and budget.
What are the pros and cons of point-and-shoot cameras for nature photography?
Point-and-shot cameras are generally inexpensive and lightweight. They are ideal for traveling. Nevertheless, they usually come with small sensors. As a result, they cannot compete with either DSLR or mirrorless camera in case of quality.
What are the pros and cons of mirrorless cameras for nature photography?
Mirrorless cameras are lightweight and compact. They also have bigger sensors than point-and-shoot cameras. However, they tend to be expensive.
What are the pros and cons of DSLR cameras for nature photography?
DSLR cameras offer professional-level photos and are great for creating large prints. However, they are typically heavy and bulky, making them less ideal for traveling.
What are the most important features for nature photography camera?
The key features include resolution, live view, RAW files, and dynamic range.
Why live view feature is crucial in nature photography camera?
It is so because it helps see your framed shot without glancing through the viewfinder. It also shows a range of valuable information related to your shot.
Does better dynamic range mean better photo results?
Yes, it can be. The better the dynamic range, the more detail your images will come out to be. This feature is especially helpful when you are capturing various aspects of nature with both light and dark areas.
Which brand is best for nature photography? Is it Canon or Nikon?
Quality photos can be shot on both Nikon and Canon. Canon cameras typically have smoother autofocus. Nevertheless, when selecting the best brand for nature photography, it is better to compare each camera model individually.
Which camera has the longest battery life?
The battery life of each camera will completely depend on how you are shooting. Just consider bringing extra batteries when you are taking nature photographs all day long.
So, which camera is the most recommended one for nature photography? My top pick would be Canon Rebel T7i. This camera is a complete package and offers everything you need for a good camera.
The Rebel T7i comes with a strong sensor, excellent dynamic range, and impressive live view performance. This camera would surely be my first recommendation for those who can afford it. Finally, hope you find your best camera for nature photography soon. Good luck!
Last update on 2019-10-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API