Buy Now! Top 10 List of Best Camera for Portrait Photography
Mariotama – You will need the right camera to take portraits with the wow factor. However, selecting the best camera for portrait photography is somewhat difficult. The best way to start is to know some good recommendations on the market.
However, you should keep in mind that there is no right or wrong in term of the best portrait camera. The best camera would always depend on your experience level, budget, and personal preference.
For this reason, I will help you find your best gear by offering a wide variety of camera recommendations, from DSLR to mirrorless to point-and-shoot cameras. Without further ado, let us check them out!
10 Best Camera for Portrait Photography
1. Best Overall: Nikon D850
- Nikon designed back side illuminated (BSI) full frame image sensor with no optical low pass filter
- 45.7 megapixels of extraordinary resolution, outstanding dynamic range and virtually no risk of moiré
- Up to 9 fps1 continuous shooting at full resolution with full AF performance
- 8K6 and 4K time lapse movies with new levels of sharpness and detail. File system : DCF 2.0, Exif 2.31, PictBridge
- Tilting touchscreen, Focus Shift shooting mode, outstanding battery performance and much more.Total Pixels: 46.89 million
Without a doubt, Nikon D850 is one of the most versatile cameras on the market. This camera boasts a powerful 45.7-megapixel sensor, which delivers high-resolution images for digital cropping and large printing.
A native ISO range of 64-25600, 9fps continuous shooting range, and 30fps 4K videos feature support Nikon D850’s impressive photography function. This camera unites high speed with fantastic detail, making it perfect to shot in any conditions. You can find Nikon D850 on Amazon.
- This camera delivers a wide dynamic range, offering high flexibility in processing RAW files.
- It supports today quick memory cards XQD and SD UHS-II.
- It provides quiet shutter and noiseless Live View shooting.
- The camera is a bit slow when focusing on the contrast in Live View mode.
- It is a bit challenging for novice photographers.
2. Best for Professional: Canon EOS 5DS R
- LPF (Low-pass filter) effect cancellation takes full advantage of the original resolving power of the 50.6 effective megapixels CMOS sensor, delivering even higher resolution images.
- Newly designed 50.6 Megapixel full-frame CMOS helps deliver ultra-high resolution images
- EOS Scene Detection System features a 150,000-pixel RGB+IR Metering Sensor.Purchase this product between May 1, 2016 and July 30, 2016 and get 13 months of free damage protection from Canon. The product must be registered within 30 days of the purchase date to be eligible.
- 61-Point High Density Reticular AF including up to 41 cross-type AF points and EOS iTR.Advanced mirror control mechanism and new user-selectable shutter release time lag
- Aspect ratio:3:2. Working temperature range 32-104°F/0-40°C
It is safe to say that Canon EOS 5DS R is the best camera for portrait photography. This camera has earned its spot in numerous professional photographers’ hearts as well.
Aside from boasting a 50-6-megapixel sensor, it offers the low-pass filter effect to generate highly detailed images for professional-quality portraiture works. Besides, this compact full-frame camera is also equipped with a face detection system that helps you in taking portraits.
This camera also comes with mirror lock function and Wi-Fi compatibility. Its settings are completely customizable as well, making it easy to adjust the parameters based on your needs. Canon EOS 5DS R is available on Amazon.
- This camera offers stunning tracking autofocus.
- It supports dual memory cards.
- Moist and dust protection are available.
- It is capable to take detailed shots up to ISO 3200.
- The price is considerably high. Yet, the cost is truly paid off.
3. Best for Budget DSLR: Nikon D810
- 36.3 MP FX format CMOS sensor without an Optical Low Pass Filter (OLPF)
- 30 Percent faster EXPEED 4 image processing engine. Shutter Speed: 1/8000 to 30 sec
- 51point AF system and 3D Color Matrix metering III with a 91,000 pixel RGB sensor
- ISO 6412,800 expandable to 51,200
- Featuring a new RAW Small Size option, which produces 16MP images with much smaller file sizes
This camera is a hybrid DSLR that makes a good option for everyone. It has a 37.09-megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor without a low-pass filter. It is designed in between entry-level and high-end categories, making it ideal for avid portrait photographers on a tight budget.
Its shooting functions support a native ISO range of 64-12800, 5fps continuous shooting rate, 51-point autofocus system, and picture control system with in-camera adjustment. The adjustment setup includes sharpness level, saturation, contrast, and hue. Nikon D810 is available on Amazon.
- It is equipped with an impressive battery of up to 1200 frames.
- This camera is beginner-friendly.
- It also offers professional video and audio functionalities.
- It delivers fantastic photos even in low light conditions.
- This camera does not have built-in Wi-Fi.
4. Best for Beginners: Nikon D5300
- 24MP DX-format CMOS sensor with no optical low-pass filter
- 39-point AF system with 3D tracking and 3D matrix metering II
- 5 frames per second continuous shooting
- ISO 100 - 12800 (Expandable to 25600)
- 3.2" Vari-angle LCD with 1,037,000 dots
Beginners who want the best camera for portrait photography should draw their attention to Nikon D5300. It might not be the most current models on the market, but it is still an impressive option, particularly if you are a novice photographer on a budget.
With this D5300, you get a good camera, which is not inferior to those costly FX cameras when it comes to image quality. Besides, it is only a step behind the popular Nikon D7100 in terms of functionality.
A 24-megapixel sensor and an anti-aliasing filter support its shooting function. That is why it is capable to offer exceptionally sharp images. Nikon D5300 is available on Amazon.
- It offers a satisfying ISO range.
- The operation is very easy. The auto mode offers excellent results as well.
- This camera offers high image quality in its class.
- Built-in Wi-Fi is already available.
- It has little buffer size when shooting in RAW+JPG.
- The autofocus capabilities only work impressively when shooting via the viewfinder.
5. Best for Mirrorless: Sony A7R III
- INCREDIBLE DETAIL: Shoot high speed subjects at up to 10fps with continuous, accurate AF/AE tracking
- OPTIMAL LIGHT: A back illuminated Exmor R CMOS sensor with gapless on chip lens collects more light. Operating Temperature: 32 to 104 degrees Fahrenheit / 0 to 40 degrees Celsius
- FASTER IMAGE PROCESSING: An updated BIONZ X processing engine boosts processing speeds up to 1.8x
- STUNNING HD VIDEO: Sony Alpha 7R 3 mirror less cameras record clear 4K video for editing and viewing
- BUNDLE INCLUDES: Power cord, charger, cable protector, shoulder strap, body/shoe caps, eyepiece cup.Metering Type:1200 zone evaluative metering
If you are looking for the preeminent portrait camera with a compact design, consider Sony A7R III. This mirrorless camera comes with numerous trendy functions to make the most of your portrait photography.
This camera has intelligent autofocus and a strong 42.4-megapixel sensor. These features are highly essential for photographers who love to take portraits. This autofocus is capable to detect eyes while you are shooting, so there is no wasted time in adjusting the focus points.
- It offers impressive DSLR-like features in a lighter and more compact body.
- This camera supports dual card slots, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth.
- It comes with a modern, easy-to-use touch tilt display.
- Its menu functionality is rather slow.
- The touch interface functions are very limited.
6. Best Point-and-Shoot: Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-RX1 RII
- 42.4MP Full-frame back-illuminated Exmor R CMOS sensor
- 35mm F2.0 ZEISS Sonnar T lens with macro capability
- World's first user-selectable optical variable low-pass filter
- Fast Hybrid AF with 399 focal plane phase-detection AF points
- Retractable 2.4-million dot XGA OLED Tru-Finder w/ ZEISS T coating
This camera might not be a DSLR or mirrorless camera. Nevertheless, Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-RX1 RII is highly reliable for portraiture. This compact point-and-shoot camera features 42.4-megapixel full-frame sensor.
Its powerful sensor is combined with impressive Sony’s BIONZ X image processor and an extended ISO range of 100-102400. As a result, this camera can generate incredible portraits. It is also beginner-friendly regardless of its professional-quality features and photo results.
- It comes with a tilt able LCD screen for easy Live View shooting.
- This camera has a compact body, making it perfect for traveling.
- It is equipped with OLED electronic viewfinder.
- The price is rather expensive for a point-and-shoot camera.
7. Best for Compact: Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II
- The advanced video capabilities of the Power Shot G7 X Mark II camera can capture moments in the quality they deserve
- Features a large 1.0 inch, 20.1 Megapixel CMOS sensor that helps capture high quality images and videos with a wide dynamic range. Autofocus system features ttl autofocus and manual focus. Operating temperature is 0 to 40 degree celsius. Note charging time varies considerably depending on the remaining battery power
- An aperture value of f/1.8 at the wide angle and f/2.8 when fully zoomed to a factor of 4.2x (24 100 millimeter), this lens equipped to capture a variety of situations with precision
- High resolution, 3.0 inches LCD monitor that tilts up 180 degrees and down 45 degrees is ideal for self portraits and capturing pictures at high and low angles with ease
- Built in Wi Fi for on the go convenience and the ability to easily post your images to select social networking and media sites
This is another compact camera with impressive quality. Yet, its price is much lower than the previous device. It is known to be a part of Canon’s premium compact cameras. It delivers a high level of image quality while being easily slotting into your pocket.
With a 20-megapixel sensor, this camera might not as powerful as high-end DSLR on this list. Nevertheless, it is more than enough to give you good-quality portraits. Moreover, you can easily bring this camera anywhere. You can get this camera on Amazon.
- This camera is compact and ideal for those on the move.
- It comes with reliable Live View functionality.
- Beginner photographers will not find it difficult to use this camera.
- It does not come with a viewfinder. Therefore, you need to get accustomed to the live view from the LCD screen.
8. Best under $1500: Canon EOS 80D
- The EOS 80D camera's Intelligent Viewfinder helps bring the thrill of SLR photography with each use
- The Intelligent Viewfinder displays AF points and AF mode, has a grid display, a horizontal electronic level, plus numerous other points of information
- For next level AF operation, the EOS 80D camera has a wide area, 45 point, all cross type AF system with low luminance performance to EV 3 and 4 types of AF area selection modes
- The 24.2 Megapixel (APS C) CMOS sensor captures high resolution images and has refined individual pixels that enable high ISO speeds (16000 for still photographs, 12800 for movies)
- Canon's remarkable shutter combined with ability to shoot up to 7.0 fps during continuous shooting ensures quick performance.Dioptric Adjustment: 3.0 to +1.0 m 1 (diopter)
For those looking for a reliable portrait camera under $1,500, this Canon EOS 80D should be on their bucket list. This camera offers a wide variety of functions to create wonderful portraits.
Although it does not come with image stabilization, this EOS 80D still gives you an opportunity to shoot from various angles while managing the layout on the screen. Its 24-megapixel sensor provides you extensive changes more for digital cropping.
Canon EOS 80D is mostly praised for its cross-type 45-point AF system. This autofocus system results in accurate details and advanced focusing that covers a broad area. You can get this EOS 80D on Amazon.
- It offers remarkable burst shooting speed.
- The rotatable touch display is very convenient and user-friendly.
- It has been integrated with NFC and Wi-Fi connectivity.
- It does not come with built-in GPS.
- This camera does not support quick UHS-UU cards.
9. Best for Popular Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
- 30.4 MegaPixel full frame CMOS sensor for versatile shooting
- Up to 7.0 frames per second continuous shooting speed
- 61 point AF system with 41 cross points for expanded vertical coverage
- ISO range 100 32000 with 50 102400 expansion
- 4K video recording at 30p or 24p and in camera still frame grab of 8.8 MegaPixel images
If you need the best camera for portrait photography, Canon EOS 5D Mark IV is among the most popular models on the market. This is a versatile camera, which makes a great photo even in low light conditions.
Its remarkable shooting function is supported by an exceptional 61-point AF system and ISO range of 100-32000. Moreover, its full-frame sensor is also amazing. It makes it possible to capture high-resolution images with impressive color reproduction.
You can find Canon EOS 5D Mark IV on Amazon.
- It has a better weather-sealed body, so you have the freedom to shoot even in harsh environments.
- It comes with integrated Wi-Fi, NFC, and GPS.
- This camera also boasts an outstanding autofocus system.
- It does not support high-speed cards yet.
- The price is somewhat costly, especially for beginner photographers.
10. Best Fujifilm: Fujifilm X-T2
- 24.3MP X Trans CMOS III APS-C sensor reduces moiré and false colors to improve image quality and X Processor Pro engine increases response times, achieves faster AF, lower noise and better color
- Dust and moisture resistant body with approximately 63 points of weather sealing; Freeze resistance to 14 Degree Fahrenheit
- High precision 0.48 inch, 2.36 million dot OLED viewfinder featuring a magnification of 0.77x and Ultra fast Real Time Viewfinder with a lag time of 0.005sec
- Full HD and 4K 3840x2160 30P/25P/24P shooting (Using a card with the UHS Speed Class 3 or higher)
- Tempered glass 1.04 million dot high-precision 3 Inches tilting LCD monitor with three directional tilt and shutter type is focal plane shutter
If you are a big fan of Fujifilm and need a good recommendation for a portrait camera, this X-T2 may attract your attention. This camera offers a successful combination of an electronic viewfinder, impressive 325-point AF system, and upscale design.
Fujifilm X-T2 is a mirrorless camera, which comes with a professional AF system and high-quality 24.3-megapixel sensor and for detailed portraiture. You can get this Fujifilm X-T2 on Amazon.
- This camera delivers incredible picture quality.
- It comes with advanced autofocus.
- Its design looks very stylish with a black case and smooth angles.
- Its internal stabilization seems a bit lacking.
- The phase autofocus of this camera isn’t compatible with all lenses.
Which camera type is recommended for portrait photography?
Nowadays, a DSLR model is desirable for professional photography. However, you can also consider mirrorless and point-and-shoot cameras. They can make a good option for particular conditions.
What features should I consider when choosing the best camera for portrait photography?
Photo stabilization capability, viewfinder, sensor, and autofocus system are among the most important points to consider.
Why is a big full-frame sensor more desirable for portrait photography?
It promises shallower field depth and a stunning blurry background. Besides, it allows large printing and digital cropping too.
Should I choose a camera with good lens accessibility?
Yes, you should. If you want to get the best portraits, consider purchasing a camera, which is compatible to a wide range of extra optics.
What things should I consider when operating a good portrait camera?
To get the best results, you should consider the ISO and aperture setting, as well as the choice of your lens. It is recommended to go for high ISO, large aperture, and fast lens when shooting with a portrait camera.
What is the most recommended Canon lens for portrait photography?
Depending on your style and budget, the best lens for you can be different from others. Nevertheless, Canon 50mm f/1.2L can be a good option to create a very natural look to portraits. This lens might be pricey. However, on the right hands, it makes images looking exceptional.
What is the best Nikon lens for portrait photography?
To make the most of your portrait camera, Nikon 85mm f/1.4G can be the best choice. It is known to be one of the quickest lenses from Nikon. For a cheaper option, you can consider Nikon 50mm f/1.8G.
Is Nikon better than Canon in terms of portrait camera?
It depends. Refer to each model offered by both brands for better comparison.
So, which is the most recommended portrait camera out there? When the answer may depend on your budget and need, my top pick would be Nikon D850. Although the specs are probably too advanced for just portraiture, this D850 is highly recommended for those who can afford it.
This is one of the most versatile cameras available on the market today. Since this camera will be able to excel in various photography styles, you will not need to get an additional camera as well.
That is all my review of the best camera for portrait photography. Determine what you need and how much your budget is. Then, come back to this list to find your best partner. Good luck!
Last update on 2019-11-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API