99% Cuteness! Top 10 Best Lens for Newborn Photography
Mariotama – As many photography communities would say, the gear you have will not define the success of your newborn shooting. Nevertheless, you would want the best lens for newborn photography to take your business to the next level.
Selecting the best lens for newborn shooting can be intimidating since there is no definite lens for everyone. Generally, you will need a range of different lenses to capture particular types and styles shots of newborn photography.
Mainly, you will need a macro, wide-angle, medium telephoto, and a 50mm prime lens. To help you get started, I have arranged some of the most recommended lenses for newborn photography. Let us explore them below!
10 Best Lens for Newborn Photography
1. Best for Medium Telephoto: Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM
- f1.2 maximum aperture
- Ring-type UltraSonic motor (USM), Focal length : 85mm, Closest focusing distance : 3.2 feet
- EF mount, medium telephoto lens, High-speed AF and circular aperture create shallow depth-of-field
- 111mm focal length for APS-H sensors, 136mm for APS-C sensors, Lens not zoomable
Every newborn photographer should have at least one reliable portrait lens. This Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L is one of the best choices for sure.
As a part of Canon’s prominent L series, this medium telephoto lens can deliver super sharp images with creamy, stunning bokeh. It also features full-time manual focus override, allowing you to get maximum control of the autofocus system.
Besides, its USM label indicates this lens to have precise and quick focusing. The advanced lens shape and Super Spectra coating feature should be pleasing bonus points offered.
- It delivers premium bokeh effect.
- This lens can generate top-quality and sharp images.
- All the features the lens has made it more effective and convenient even for novice photographers.
- It has a bulky and heavy body.
- The lens is more suitable for serious amateurs and professionals consider its expensive price.
2. Best for Wide-Angle: Nikon AF FX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.4G
- FX-format, ultra-fast classic wide-angle lens
- Focal Length : 35 mm, Minimum Focus Distance - 1.0 ft.
- Nano Crystal Coat, Optimized for edge to edge sharpness on both FX and DX-format D-SLRs
- Aspherical Lens Element. Rear Focus (RF)
- Maximum angle of view (DX-format): 44°, Maximum angle of view (FX-format): 63°
This Nikon 35mm f/1.4G is worth to be called as the best lens for newborn photography. This versatile lens works well with landscapes, portraits, and other photography niches.
Whether you are capturing newborn baby portraits or maternity photos, this wide-angle lens will deliver such great results. It also has a quick maximum aperture of f/1.4G for remarkable low-light performance.
Moreover, the focal length is also ideal since it is wide enough to capture more of the scene exclusive of too much distortion around the edges. You can get this Nikon AF FX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.4G on Amazon.
- The autofocus works accurately and fast.
- It creates sharp images with awesome bokeh.
- This lens is dependable for shooting in bad weather.
- The price is not cheap.
- You will find chromatic aberration on the open aperture but it is relatively low.
3. Best for Macro: Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM
- 100 mm focal length and 1:2.8 maximum aperture. The EF1.4X II/EF2X II extenders cannot be used with this lens. There are no compatible close-up lenses
- Lens construction consists of 15 elements in 12 groups
- 23.4-Degree diagonal angle of view
- Inner focusing system with USM and full-time manual focus option.Closest focusing distance 0.99 ft./0.3m (maximum close-up magnification: 1x)
- 67 mm filter size.Filter Size:58mm.Lens hood:ET-73
This Canon 100mm f/2.8 lens is a true macro lens, which is capable to capture perfectly sharp, detailed close-up baby photos. Besides, it features precise, fast, and noiseless autofocus functionalities with full-time manual override.
As a newborn photographer, you can use this lens for various purposes. It allows you to take baby portraits and even maternity photos. It also makes the most stunning bokeh. This Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM is available on Amazon.
- It is capable to capture images with edge-to-edge sharpness.
- You cannot find chromatic aberration.
- Its autofocus is near silent, making it ideal for taking newborn photos.
- Its optical stabilizer works well.
- The body is mostly made of plastic, yet it does not feel low-priced.
4. Best 50mm: Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM
- This Certified Refurbished product is tested and certified to look and work like new. The refurbishing process includes functionality testing, basic cleaning, inspection, and repackaging. The product ships with all relevant accessories, a minimum 90-day warranty, and may arrive in a generic box. Only select sellers who maintain a high performance bar may offer Certified Refurbished products on Amazon.com
- Weather-resistant standard lens
- Focal Length & Maximum Aperture-50mm F/1.2, Closest Focusing Distance - 1.48 ft. / 0.45m
- AF with full-time manual focus, 72mm filter size
- Ultrasonic Motor (USM), Lens not zoomable
Canon 50mm f/1.2L is a multipurpose lens, which can be used to take a variety style of photos. Thanks to its consistent sharp output and awesome bokeh, this lens is also great for close-up portraits.
As the best lens for newborn photography, Canon 50mm f/1.2L has very fast and accurate autofocus. This feature helps beginner photographers capture cute baby photos from the initial shot.
Besides, it comes with an impressive low-light capability and a weather-resistant body. All these features make this lens dependable for taking newborns, children, and even families photos. You can buy this Canon 50mm f/1.2L on Amazon.
- It comes with a compact design.
- This lens delivers great images while shooting in poor lighting.
- It makes an attractive bokeh effect.
- The autofocus speed should be faster.
- The price is a bit expensive, especially if you just start newborn photography.
5. Best Telephoto: Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3
- This version is originally intended for sale outside the US and may contain adapters, manuals, and warranties not compatible with US standards.
This Sony lens is often considered as the universal lens for close portraits. This telephoto lens also provides an impressive blur background.
This 55-210mm lens offers a fantastic balance of function and form: adequate zoom range in a compact body. It is lightweight and exceptionally comfortable to operate and hold.
Thanks to the built-in image stabilization, this lens can produce sharp images even when shooting handled in poorly lit situations. This Sony E 55-210mm f4.5-6.3 is available on Amazon.
- This lens offers a solid telephoto reach with optical stabilization.
- It is cheap and has a lightweight body.
- It does not come with water and dust protection.
6. Best for Portrait: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art DG HSM
- 50mm focal length
- 75mm equivalent focal length on APS-C cameras, 80mm equivalent focal length on Canon APS-C cameras
- F1.4 maximum aperture; F16 minimum
- Ring-type ultrasonic-type AF motor with full-time manual focusing
- 77mm filters
This lens allows you to take photos with a remarkable wide aperture. Combining modern features and user-friendly design, this lens can produce brightly colored images. It comes with a sturdy and well-built body too.
Besides, the Sigma 50mm lens also features an SLD glass, which is capable to reduce chromatic distortion while improving picture quality. This Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art DG HSM is available on Amazon.
- It has a wide aperture setting to provide incredibly sharp images.
- This lens has minimal chromatic distortion and low level of the vignette.
- The autofocus is fast.
- This lens is a bit bulky and heavy.
- The bokeh effect is not noticeable at times.
7. Best Budget: Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8
- Hood Included
- Case Included
- Built in motor designed for use with Nikon Cameras
- Lens not zoomable
This macro lens from Tamron is also recommended if you need the best lens for newborn photography. It offers an easier method to work with a macro lens by providing an AF/MF mode. This feature allows you to focus manually even when the autofocus is on.
Besides, this lens also has a big focus ring that can simplify the focusing process manually. Thanks to this feature, you can expect more accurate autofocus. The autofocus is also fast in both regular and macro modes. This lens also comes with a great open aperture, which delivers awesome sharpness.
You can find this Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP on Amazon.
- It has minimum vignette and chromatic aberration.
- The optical stabilization makes it more efficient and timesaving.
- The lens is dirt-and-moist resistant and has a waterproof coating.
- It shows noticeable glares while shooting in hard backlight.
8. Best for Beginners: Canon EF 35mm f/2
- Focal length and maximum aperture: 35mm 1:2
- Lens construction: 10 elements in 8 groups
- Diagonal angle of view: 63 Degree
- Rear focusing system with USM focus adjustment
- Closest focusing distance: 0.24m/0.79 ft,Focal Length : 35mm Comparable APS-C 1.6x Focal Length: 56 mm.Lens Construction:10 elements in 8 groups
Lightweight, small, and affordable, the Canon EF 35mm f/2 can always be a great addition to your lens collection. Its f/2 aperture allows you to work near window light when taking baby photos at home.
Many photographers praise its autofocus, which is quick and precise. This wide-angle lens also has full-time manual focus override, micro-stepping drive aperture, and built-in image stabilization. All these features are extremely helpful when taking photos of a sleeping baby.
- Its compact dimension makes newborn shooting less tiring since you do not need to hold a heavy lens all the time.
- It shows minimal distortion and has very sharp photographs.
- This lens is equipped with an optical stabilizer.
- It does not equip with a lens hood.
- When shooting at a wide aperture, there are dim corners.
9. Best for Low Price: Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G
- Fast, upgraded f/1.8, compact FX format prime lens. The picture angle with 35 millimeter (135) format is 47 degree and the maximum reproduction ratio is 0.15X
- Focal Length 50 millimeter, Minimum Focus Distance 1.48 feet (0.45 meter)
- Newly developed optical system with Aspherical lens element, Exclusive Nikon Silent Wave Motor (SWM)
- M/A Focus Mode Switch,Filter Thread 58 millimeter, Autofocus: Yes. Dimensions (approx.) (from the camera lens mounting flange): Approximately 2.83 inches diameter x 2.01 inches
- Optimized for edge to edge sharpness on both FX and DX format D SLRs
Nikon owns the best lens for newborn photography at a relatively inexpensive price. This 50mm f/1.8G lens makes a good addition to your lens collection. A versatile lens produces excellent portraits.
This lens is capable to take exceptionally sharp pictures of a newborn with natural-looking blur in the background. It also provides fast, accurate, and nearly silent autofocus. Moreover, it performs very well in low light situations too. The Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G lens is available on Amazon.
- This lens offers a wide aperture at a reasonable rate.
- It delivers top-quality sharp pictures with minimal distortion.
- This lens does not support optical stabilization.
- The close focus ability is just limited.
10. Best for Nikon: Nikon AF-S VR 105mm f/2.8G
- Designed for close-up and macro photography; versatile enough for virtually any photographic situation
- Maximum Angle of View (FX-format): 23°20'.Features new VR II vibration reduction technology, Focal Length : 105 mm, Minimum Focus Distance : 10 ft( 0314 m)
- Nano-Crystal coat and ED glass elements that enhance overall image quality by further reducing flare and chromatic aberrations
- Includes an internal focus, which provides fast and quiet auto-focusing without changing the length of the lens. Maximum Reproduction Ratio : 1.0x
- Weighs 279 ounces, and measures 33 x 45 inches; Made In China ;5-Year Warranty (1-Year International + 4-Year USA Extension)
Nikon users who need a great macro lens for newborn photography should take this Nikon 105mm f/2.8G into account. This lens offers exclusive glass elements, quick and silent internal autofocus, as well as built-in image stabilization.
It has a 1:1 magnification ratio along with a minimum focusing distance. This feature allows you to approach your subject as close as possible without dropping the sharp focus. Besides, you are allowed to use polarization filters and other effects with this lens.
You can find this Nikon AF-S VR 105mm f/2.8G on Amazon.
- It delivers a very high resolution.
- The glare protection and image stabilizer work perfectly.
- Its autofocus is considerably quick for a macro lens.
- It has durable build, which feels good to hold.
- It has floating maximum aperture value.
- This lens is considerably bulky and heavy.
What is the best lens for newborn photography?
Typically, you will need a versatile lens, which can work well in various photography niches. If you are doing this for business, consider having a lens collection consisting of a medium telephoto, macro, 50mm prime lens, and a wide-angle lens.
Why I need a medium telephoto lens for newborn shooting?
Because this kind of lens is good for portrait and typically your newborn photo shoots will include this style.
Can I use a macro lens for newborn shooting?
Yes, you can. A macro lens is highly recommended for newborn photography since it can capture smaller details like baby’s fingers, toes, and eyelashes.
Why need to have a 50mm prime lens for newborn shooting?
Because there can be a time when you need a quick, lightweight lens that works perfectly in low light and can take exceptionally sharp images.
Is it possible to use a wide-angle lens for newborn photography?
Yes, it is. This kind of lens will be helpful when you need to take photos of the parents and the baby in one frame. It would be useful if you want to shoot outdoor and include the scenic background in the photo.
Do I need additional lens equipment for newborn photography?
It can be. Since the light type and intensity are crucial, you should utilize lens filters to modify the light before it gets to the lens.
What kind of lens filters should I use for newborn photography?
Generally, you will need optical filters to reduce the light volume, which gets to the lens. Then, you can use close-up filters to decrease the lowest focal distance. Close-up filters are typically designed for a macro lens.
Do I use flash for newborn photography?
Mostly no. It is not recommended to use pop-up flashes since babies have sensitive eyes and should not be exposed to harsh lights. Moreover, the use of flashes may wake the baby up as well. You had better use external flashes at this point.
To sum up, picking the best lens for newborn shooting can be difficult because there is not a model, which can suit all cameras and photographers. It is safe to have some different lenses to accommodate various possible styles related to newborn photography.
Nevertheless, if you need to choose only one on the list, I will recommend the Nikon 35mm f/1.4G. This lens is reliable for a variety of photography niches including newborn, portrait, and landscape. It also delivers outstanding low-light performance.
At the end of the day, the final decision would be on your hands. Hope you find this review of the best lens for newborn photography helpful. Good luck!
Last update on 2019-10-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API