10 Best Lens for Product Photography Available Today
Mariotama – It is hard to name only one best lens for product photography. While each lens will differ in build quality, focal length, maximum aperture, and other things, every kind of product shooting have its unique requirements.
Product shooting itself is a type of commercial photography that focuses on attractively representing a particular product. Generally, it is used for advertising purposes. According to the subject, this style of photography can be divided into furniture, clothes, food, jewelry shooting, etc.
A certain lens will suit a particular product than others. To help you make the right choice, I have picked up some recommendations of product photography lens. Without further ado, let us check them out!
10 Best Lens for Product Photography
1. Best Lens with VR: Nikon AF-S FX NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8E ED
- Fast f/2.8 constant aperture with an electromagnetic diaphragm
- Sensational image quality and sharpness with virtually no distortion, Focal Length Range : 24 to 70 millimeter
- Minimum Focus Distance : 35 to 50 millimeter focal length : 1.2 feet (0.38 meter) from focal plane; 24, 28, 70 millimeter focal lengths : 1.3 feet (0.41 meter) from focal plane; Dimensions : Approx; 88.0 millimeter maximum diameter x 154.5 millimeter (distance from camera lens mount flange)
- 4 stops of Vibration Reduction for handheld and low light shooting, Nonstick glass makes it easier to wipe off water, dirt and smudges
- Evolution of Nikon's legendary 24 to 70 millimeter workhorse.Type:Fmount, Type E AF S lens with built in CPU and F mount.Lens Elements:20
Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8E is one of the best product photography lenses available on the market. Its technical functions and features will satisfy the demand of all advertising photographers. The key factor that appeals to potential buyers is mainly its remarkable picture quality.
This lens also has an advanced optical design and better vibration control system. It helps you set the shutter speeds four steps longer. Then, it can prevent blurring caused by camera vibration. This feature is extremely important for you who often take product photos without a tripod.
You can find this Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8E ED on Amazon.
- This lens makes brilliant photo quality with balanced colors.
- It has a shake control system that prevents vibration and guarantees sharp pictures.
- It comes with a noiseless focus motor.
- Its high price makes it more suitable for serious beginners or professional photographers.
- This lens is heavy at the point that you may lose your balance while shooting.
2. Best for APS-C: Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
- 24 70 millimeter focal length, 38.4 112 millimeter equivalent focal length on Canon APS C cameras
- F2.8 constant maximum aperture; F22 minimum, Ring type ultrasonic type AF motor with full time manual focusing
- 82 millimeter filters, Closest Focusing Distance: 0.38 meter/1.25 feet
- Image Stabilization : No. Focus Adjustment Inner focusing with USM. Diagonal Angle of View 84° 34°. Weight 1.7 pound
- Purchase this product between May 1, 2016 and July 30, 2016 and get 13 months of free damage protection from Canon. The product must be registered within 30 days of the purchase date to be eligible
It is safe to say that Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L is the best lens for product photography. Thanks to the aspheric and glass lenses, it promises amazing photo quality across the whole focal length.
Moreover, the optical system has been significantly modernized as well. Thus, the photo quality improves in accordance. Canon’s Super Spectra antireflection coating covers all lens elements.
It allows you to capture products made of reflective materials. You can also expect dust-resistant coating on the front and back sides of the lens. This Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM can be found on Amazon.
- It delivers perfect sharpness across the zoom range when the aperture is open.
- It does not cause much chromatic aberration.
- The lens is dustproof and waterproof. It also has quick autofocus.
- This lens shows weak sharpness at the edge of the frame, especially when the aperture is open.
- The bokeh is quite rough.
3. Best for Shooting Still Life: Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM
- 100 mm focal length and 1:2.8 maximum aperture. The EF1.4X II/EF2X II extenders cannot be used with this lens. There are no compatible close-up lenses
- Lens construction consists of 15 elements in 12 groups
- 23.4-Degree diagonal angle of view
- Inner focusing system with USM and full-time manual focus option.Closest focusing distance 0.99 ft./0.3m (maximum close-up magnification: 1x)
- 67 mm filter size.Filter Size:58mm.Lens hood:ET-73
This macro lens is also dependable in terms of product photography. It is equipped with a 1:1 magnification ratio, which is crucial for macro shooting. Different from many other 100mm lenses out there, it comes with an image stabilizer to avoid image blurring.
Besides, this lens features three choices for autofocus distance that allow you to bring small subjects in focus quickly. More interestingly, this lens has been covered by dirt and water protection as well. This Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM is obtainable on Amazon.
- The autofocus is fast and reliable.
- A good stabilization system supports it.
- It delivers the best overall sharpness as soon as the aperture is open.
- There are angular highlights in particular areas once the aperture is closed.
4. Best Balance: Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC USD
- Super high-quality high-speed ultra-wide-angle zoom lens
- Lens has triple lens coatings consisting of the newly developed ax coating, plus band and bar coatings
- Dual MPU system for AF and VC
- Newly developed VC mechanism now reaches 4.5 Stops of image stabilization (CIPA-rated)
- Moisture-resistant construction
Tamron is widely known as a top-quality brand, which comes up with affordable lenses. In addition, it now has the best lens for product photography, which is surprisingly affordable on its class.
This SP 15-30mm f/2.8 is known to be the first ultra-wide angle gear to cover the full-frame 35mm image circles with Vibration Control (VC) technology. Thanks to its wide-angle capability, you can make eye-catching product photos with this lens.
Importantly, it can produce extremely sharp images within the entire focal length range. This is something that you cannot easily find on other lenses at the same focal length.
- This lens can control chromatic aberrations perfectly.
- Its maximum aperture of f/2.8 will make this lens reliable when capturing in low light.
- It has a considerably large body.
5. Best for Nikon D7000: Nikon AF-S DX Micro-NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G
- Compact and lightweight DX-format close-up lens. Lens Construction (Elements/Groups) - 9 elements in 7 groups
- Maximum reproduction ratio is 1.0x. Focal length is 40 mm
- Sharp images from infinity to life-size (1X), Autofocus to 64 inches
- Close-Range Correction System (CRC). Silent Wave Motor (SWM)
- Angle of view is 38 degree 50 feet. Features focus distance indicator 0.53 feet to infinity having minimum focus distance as 0.53 feet
Are you looking for a cheaper choice? This Nikon 40mm f/2.8G makes a good bet. This lens has a small weight and compact design. It is considered as the best Nikon lens for jewelry shooting since it can deliver a wide-angle while capturing different jewelry objects.
With its 1:1 shooting ratio, this lens is dependable for close-ups since the minimal focal distance is 16 cm. Its maximum aperture of f/2.8 allows you to keep objects in the background are blurred. It is also accommodating when taking pictures in dim light.
This Nikon AF-S DX 40mm f/2.8G is available on Amazon.
- This lens is portable and very convenient.
- It does not deliver so much chromatic aberration.
- It can deliver perfect image sharpness when the aperture is open.
- The autofocus is somewhat slow.
6. Best for Quick Autofocus: Sony SEL30M35 30mm f/3.5
- Lens not Zoomable
- Exceptionally portable and versatile for everyday use
- Minimum working distance of only 9.75cm with 1:1 magnification
- Simple, compact 6-group 7-element lens
- Internal stepping motor and Rear-focusing design for video capture
This is another best lens for product photography that comes at a reasonable price. This compact wide-angle macro lens has a 1:1 zoom ratio, making it ideal for capturing tiny products. The minimal shooting distance is 2.4 cm while the minimal focus distance is 9.5 cm.
With these features, the Sony 30mm f/3.5 should be perfect for jewelry shooting where small details are highly critical. Moreover, qualitative optics provides impressive accuracy and sharpness across any diaphragm and focusing values. You can get this Sony 30mm f/3.5 e-mount lens on Amazon.
- This lens delivers high-quality contrast and sharpness.
- It is very convenient to hold because of its compact design.
- The focus is quick.
- The focusing distance seems reduced while capturing images with a maximum scale.
- Distorted vision is found in the unsharp zone.
7. Best Canon: Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
- All-new optical design with significant improvements in peripheral brightness.
- High-performance standard zoom lens with constant f/4L aperture and a broad angle of view covering from wide angle to mid-telephoto.
- Air Sphere Coating (ASC) helps to significantly reduce flare and ghosting. Diagonal Angle of View:84°00' - 23° 20'
- Image Stabilizer performance at up to 4 stops* of shake correction helps capture sharp images. Lens Construction: 17 elements in 12 groups
- Circular Aperture (10 blades) helps deliver beautiful, soft backgrounds.
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L is rather a versatile lens. It comes with a dependable zoom range from wide-angle to medium focal telephoto. It allows you to show large furniture and its features at the long focal length.
Furthermore, the constant maximum aperture of f/4 is obtainable throughout the focal length range. As a result, the exposure values stay fixed while scaling.
Interestingly, this camera also has a good image stabilizer to prevent blur caused by camera shake. This lens allows you to take photos in low light situations as well. This Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM is available on Amazon.
- The minimum focusing distance is 0.45m.
- It comes with a powerful optical stabilizer.
- This lens is protected from moisture and dust.
- The lens is quite large and heavy.
8. Best on FX Digital and Film: Nikon AF-S FX NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED
- Compact and versatile 5x standard zoom lens with f/4 maximum aperture
- Maximum reproduction ratio: 0.24x.Focal Length Range : 24 to 120 millimeter, Minimum Focus Distance : 15 feet ( 045 meter)
- Extended range on Nikon DX format DSLR cameras
- Nikon VR II (Vibration Reduction) Image Stabilization, Nano Crystal Coat
- 2 Extra low Dispersion (ED) Elements; 3 Aspherical Lens Elements.Mount Type: Nikon F Bayonet
This is the best lens for product photography in terms of shooting furniture. This lens has excellent image detailing and stabilization. As a result, you can easily perform handheld shooting with this lens.
Besides, it also has a constant f/4 aperture value, which is capable to take top-quality pictures even in poorly lit conditions. It sometimes results in some geometric distortion, but it is not a big deal since you can correct it with a photo editor later on.
- This lens delivers superb sharpness at wider angles.
- It offers five times zoom rank and permanent f/4 aperture.
- The image stabilization feature is good.
- There is visible distortion. Yet, you can correct it afterward.
- The photos may lose sharpness at f/4 zoomed.
9. Best for General Purpose: Sigma 24-105mm f4.0 Art
- Offers stable and fine image quality from wide to mid-telephoto range
- This lens has a combination of fixed aperture and a good zoom ratio that is kept as high as possible
- minimum focusing distance of 45cm and a maximum magnification ratio of 1:4.6. great for close up photography;Includes Lens Hood, front & rear caps
- MC-11 Compatible
- German (Publication Language)
In comparison to the previous one, this lens is probably a little slower. It often takes time to obtain the necessary sharpness yet the result is flawless.
Unrivaled resolution and minimal chromatic aberration characterize this lens even at the edges of the image. The 4.4x zoom is also accessible here. Moreover, the minimum focusing distance is 45cm within the entire focal length. This Sigma 24-105mm f/4.0 lens is available on Amazon.
- This lens has full-frame coverage.
- It has a good optical stabilization and is capable to deliver perfect sharpness.
- It allows you to use a USB dock.
- There is a little distortion while zooming.
10. Best Macro Lens: Sony SEL90M28G FE 90mm f/2.8
- A perfect match for α7 series, 35mm full-frame E-mount cameras, 90mm Macro with a bright F2.8 maximum aperture, Nano AR coating effectively suppress reflections, Dust and moisture resistant design
- Minimum Focus Distance : 0.92 ft (0.28 m), Maximum Magnification ratio : 1.0x, Focal Length : 90 mm. The angle of view is 27 degree (35 mm) and 17 degree (APS-C)
- Optical Steady Shot image stabilization for handheld shooting, Instant manual/auto focus selection via a sliding focus ring, Instant manual/auto focus selection via a sliding focus ring
- Corner to corner sharpness w/ Advanced Spherical elements, Super ED glass w/ multi‐coating reduces flare and ghosting, 9-blade circular aperture contributes to gorgeous bokeh
- Direct Drive SSM (DDSSM) for quiet, precise focusing; Weight: 602 g (21.3 oz)
If your product is food, you should take this Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 into account. With this best lens for product photography, you can get stunning photos thanks to the narrow field of perspective. There is no doubt that your photos will worth the best magazine covers.
This prime lens was initially designed for full-frame mirrorless cameras. However, it is now compatible with Sony NEX by fitting in an APS-C sensor. With a 1:1 magnification ratio, this lens is definitely a great macro lens for professional product photography.
- This lens has excellent assembly and is protected against moisture and dust.
- Its focus lock button is available in continuous mode.
- Its maximum aperture of f/2.8 is offered to guarantee excellent sharpness.
- The autofocus is a bit lacking for macro shooting.
What is the most common type of lens used for product photography?
Macro lenses are the most common choice. They refer to a lens that can capture even the smallest details in high definition. These lenses are capable to see details in the image, which you might not see.
Why is macro lenses recommended for product photography?
These lenses are considered as the most suitable choice in terms of product photography because of its special design. This particular design allows you to photograph an object on a 1:1 scale. Moreover, their minimum focal length is much shorter than the other lens types. Thus, you can get clear pictures at a very small distance.
Can I use prime lenses for product photography?
Yes, you can. In terms of shooting still-life genres like food or product, this type of lens is also preferable. They typically provide sharper images and do not have any moving parts. It means that there would be less lens diffraction.
What factors should I consider in choosing the best lens for product photography?
Generally, you should consider the focal length, quality, and budget.
Is a product photography lens at a cheap price reliable?
It depends. All the lenses mentioned above are highly recommended despite the price tags. So, do not be fooled into thinking that a lens is simply better just because it is more expensive. Even though premium lenses tend to have better build quality, it does not mean that you can overlook ones offered at a less expensive price.
Do I need additional equipment for product photography?
It can be. You may like to have some filters such as close-up and polarizing filters. You can consider having a macro-reversing ring as well. This gear allows you to turn any lens into a macro lens.
To conclude, there are varieties of lenses available for product photography. While all recommended lenses above are suitable for product photography, the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L simply wins my heart.
This lens is highly versatile and capable to deliver incredible images. It also has powerful optical stabilizer to guarantee sharp photos. Its maximum aperture of f/4 makes it reliable for shooting low light as well.
When it seems difficult to choose one, it is better to ask yourself what product you will shoot and how much your budget is. This way, you can get the best lens for your needs. Finally, hope you enjoy this review of the best lens for product photography. Thank you!
Last update on 2020-01-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API