Buy Right Now! 7 Best Lens for Street Photography
Mariotama – The one with 55mm is often thought of as the best lens for street photography. Well, that is not entirely true. The different focal lengths can also change the photos dramatically, if you want to know which lens for street photography that might be the right one for you.
It is highly recommended to use the wide-angle lens for the street shots. There are some tips regarding street photography. Even though you are using a wide-angle lens, you will still have to get close. It will get you closer to the subjects or action you are about to capture.
Because of that, you can tell more stories. A wider scene allows you to tell more contexts in your photo. So, the photo will not be too cluttered. The main subject can get a clear focus. Besides, you can build a positive interaction with your subject, as you get closer.
There are a bunch of lenses available on Amazon that are ready to provide you with decent street photographs. Here are some of the products that you might want to compare.
7 Best Lens for Street Photography
1. Best Affordable: Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens
- 50 millimeter focal length and maximum aperture of f/1.8
- Great for portraits, action, and nighttime photography; Angle of view (horizontal, vertical, diagonal): 40º, 27º,46º
- Minimum focusing distance of 1.15 feet (0.35 meter) and a maximum magnification of 0.21x
- Stepping motor (STM) delivers near silent, continous Move Servo AF for movies and smooth AF for stills
- 80 millimeter effective focal length on APS C cameras, 50 millimeter on full frame cameras.Lens Construction: 6 elements in 5 groups
It is an upgrade version of Canon’s 50mm f/1.8 II lens. Compared to the previous lens, this one has a more solid design. It is now much less plastic than before. The feel and the look of this lens are just great. It provides great photos too.
It’s a much cheaper option compared t Zeiss or Sigma’s lens for street photography. The lens offers you with some decent images. Thanks to many useful features to support the street photography passion of yours.
The main feature of this lens is the wide f/1.8 aperture. It makes the camera able to let in more than 8x lights compared to other lenses with a standard zoom. You will be provided with sharper images with less motion blur and low-light performance.
Any lens with STM type, it is a great lens to make some high-quality movies. It serves you with quite focusing. You will have smooth movies with quite continuous AF. For the build, this lens comes with a compact and lightweight body.
It is an excellent prime lens for any of your EOS camera. The lens is designed to be great for action, low-light condition, and of course street photo. It comes with various bundling offers on Amazon.
- Great quality and affordable
- It produces some fantastic images with a shallow field depth.
- The bokeh looks fantastic.
- It’s got great color handling.
- It’s not much better than the previous version.
- The focus ring is disappointing.
2. Best Alternative: Sigma 35mm F1.4 Art DG HSM Lens for Nikon
- 35mm focal length, 52.5mm equivalent focal length on APS-C cameras, 56mm equivalent focal length on Canon APS-C cameras
- F1.4 maximum aperture; F16 minimum, This model is compatible with all current Nikon cameras (both DX and FX)
- Ring-type ultrasonic-type AF motor with full-time manual focusing
- 67mm filters,0.30m/11.81" minimum focus. Maximum Magnifications-1:5.2. Angle of View-63.4º
- Available in Canon EF, Nikon F (FX), Pentax KAF3, Sony Alpha, Sigma SA mounts. Please refer the User Manual which is in the Product Box before use.
It is one great lens from Sigma that is designed for full-frame cameras. It is also quite flexible to be used with APS-C sensors. For the record, this is the first addition to the category of art from Sigma’s range. The unique design and concept bring new features to the lens.
This lens is a combination of a 35mm focal length and Sigma technology. Your street photography works would be the next-level expression of your art. In this Sigma lens for Nikon has some useful features.
The lens is equipped with Hyper Sonic Motor that ensures accurate, high speed, and quite auto-focus ability. It gets you the floating focusing system to acquire superior optical performance with closer subjects.
Besides, it also offers SLD and FLD Glass elements to correct axial and chromatic aberration you might face. The large aperture of 1.4 will produce low-light shots clearly.
It could be the best lens to give you great street photos. Even though it is designed for Nikon cameras, it is also compatible with many other cameras.
- It has awesome Bokeh.
- The focus ring moves smoothly.
- Exceptional build quality
- Very good sharpness
- It’s heavy.
- Sigma has an expensive repair bill.
3. Best for Travel: Nikon AF-S FX NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G
- Fast, upgraded f/1.8, compact FX format prime lens. The picture angle with 35 millimeter (135) format is 47 degree and the maximum reproduction ratio is 0.15X
- Focal Length 50 millimeter, Minimum Focus Distance 1.48 feet (0.45 meter)
- Newly developed optical system with Aspherical lens element, Exclusive Nikon Silent Wave Motor (SWM)
- M/A Focus Mode Switch,Filter Thread 58 millimeter, Autofocus: Yes. Dimensions (approx.) (from the camera lens mounting flange): Approximately 2.83 inches diameter x 2.01 inches
- Optimized for edge to edge sharpness on both FX and DX format D SLRs
Nikon claimed this lens as your DSLR’s best friend. It may be true since it has a 5-star rating on Amazon. That means most buyers love the quality and features that this NIKKOR 50mm has to offer. In fact, many photographers are pleased with the photos using this lens.
You should have a must-have lens for everyday use or portraits. Therefore, you can carry around this lens while taking a photo of the streets. With the 50mm focal length and a fast f/1.8 aperture, you can capture stunning images.
The lens will give your images a shallow depth-of-field. It makes the subjects you capture stand out from the backgrounds. As soon as you use this lens on your camera, you may feel like it is going to be your favorite lens for everyday use.
This lens is a lightweight stander one. That makes the lens perfect for a travel companion. Well, you never know when a sunny, beautiful day will turn rainy and cloudy. You can even still have stunning brilliance in a low-light environment.
The key to getting cool street photographs, you may need to have more detail in them. This lens has a Super Integrated Coating (SIC) feature that enhances the efficiency of light transmission in your shots. Moreover, an Aspherical Lens Element eliminates aberrations to produce details.
You can also buy with bundling such as Lens Protective Pouches, UV filter, and Polarizer Filter.
- With little money, you are served with solid performance.
- It’s got a really creamy Bokeh.
- It offers a really sharp pictures.
- Perfect for beginners
- It is not made for professional users.
- It doesn’t fit well in some Nikon’s cameras.
- The portrait is not as good as the 85mm.
4. Best Compact: Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM Lens
- Wide angle lens for Canon APS C cameras (equivalent to 38 millimeter on a full frame camera)
- Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 24 millimeter 1:2.8, maximum magnification of x0.27
- Slimmest and lightest lens of the EF S series
- Circular aperture (7 blades) delivers beautiful, soft backgrounds
- Full time manual focus allows manual focus adjustment while in One Shot AF mode
This EF-S Mount lens will make a perfect gear for your APS-C camera to take decent street photos. It is incredibly lightweight. You can carry around in your camera bag and capture great street photographs every time you want it.
The f/2.8 aperture gets well combined with 24mm focal length to delivers better bokeh because of the smaller field depth. It’s a great improvement made by Canon. The small size becomes the reason why this lens has many fans. It would be a perfect travel companion.
The build quality is excellently constructed. It has the same high quality as the 40mm lens from canon. Its durable frame, solid feel, and metal mount are all the same. This lens could be your best friend for a long time.
Besides street photography, this lens also works well for film work. It is a great performance by the Movie Servo AF system from Canon. However, AF is not very silent. In order to avoid the unwanted sound in your video, you need to use on-board mic or use manual focus.
- The size is small and lightweight.
- It offers excellent sharpness.
- It’s very affordable.
- It lacks image stabilization.
- It’s only made for APS-C or crop sensor.
5. Best Cropped Sensor: Tamron 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di-II
- VC (Vibration Compensation)
- HLD (High/Low torque-modulated Drive)
- Moisture-resistant construction
- Fluorine coating repels water and oil from the lens surface
- Electromagnetic diaphragm system
It’s another great lens released by Tamron. According to many reviews, this Tamron lens able to produce great photos of the city or street. It is designed for Crop sensors from Nikon that has a reasonable range from 10 to 24mm or 16 to 35mm with crop factor.
It is a good choice of lens you can experiment. As photographers know, the 16mm focal length is probably a little too wide angle. If you are eager to do something different or experimental, you might be able to pull off amazing street photography.
According to Tamron, this lens is claimed to be the best one in class. Compared to the previous lens, the SP AF10-24mm (Model B001), it has a more compact size and vastly improved performance. It features Vibration Compensation technology (VC) that allows you to enjoy handheld.
In this lens, Tamron Introduces its new AF drive system called HLD (High/Low Torque-Modulated Drive). It enables stable and precise focusing. To conclude, this Tamron Lens is a high performance packed into a compact body.
You will work with some great features to deliver shots with good image quality.
- It allows you to be experimental in your shots.
- It’s a perfect lens for capturing 4k Video.
- It gives very bright colors.
- The AF sharpness is very good.
- A faster and quieter lens option
- It has noise on Sky.
- It’s got sticky aperture blade.
- It’s NOT for full-frame.
6. Best Price: Fujinon XF16mmF1.4 R WR
- 24mm in 35mm format equivalentTo adjust focus, rotate the focus ring while viewing the effects in the camera display The focus distance and depth-of-field indicators can be used to assist manual focus
- Angle of view: 83.2°.Minimum working distance of less than 6 inches, Max magnification : 021x
- Weather-resistant design with 9 sealing points in 8 areas
- Nano-GI coating alters the refractive index between glass and air to reduce ghosting and flare
- FUJIFILM X-Mount is compatible with all FUJIFILM interchangeable system cameras
With the Fujinon wide-angle lens, Fujifilm offers a quality product with a weather-resistant body and fixed focal length lens that is able to deliver stunning image performance. You will be provided with extraordinary image quality even in low-light situation.
This lens consists of 13 elements in 11 groups. That includes two aspherical elements and two extra low-dispersions (ED). It helps in reducing spherical and chromatic aberrations. Therefore, you can get all the shots with rich, sharp image quality.
For high image quality, this lens is packed with Nano GI Coating. It is combined with the signature proprietary HT-EBC coating from Fujifilm. That brings perfection to the image quality.
For street photography, it is recommended to take closer shots in order to gain an enhanced and more dynamic bokeh. It gives you greater creativity with a wide-angle lens. The autofocus of this lens is as fast as 0.11sec, which is according to CIPA association.
For beginners, the price is not friendly. It would be the downside of this lens. Well, when there is a quality, there’s a price.
- It’s weather and dust resistant.
- It’s compact and lightweight.
- It has a 5-star rating on Amazon.
- The price is so expensive.
- The autofocus is not that fast.
- It’s overpriced.
7. Best Professional Use: Nikon AF FX Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G
- FX-format, ultra-fast classic wide-angle lens
- Focal Length : 35 mm, Minimum Focus Distance - 1.0 ft.
- Nano Crystal Coat, Optimized for edge to edge sharpness on both FX and DX-format D-SLRs
- Aspherical Lens Element. Rear Focus (RF)
- Maximum angle of view (DX-format): 44°, Maximum angle of view (FX-format): 63°
Judging by its price, this lens is made for professional photographers. You can have such an expensive lens for street photography work. This NIKKOR 35mm is an FX-format, ultra-fast classic wide-angle lens.
This is the decent lens for shooting street photography with the full-frame camera. Even though it is so expensive, Nikon guarantees that this lens can deliver exceptional image quality.
It is created especially for full-frame Nikon’s cameras. Therefore, if you’re using it on your crop sensor camera, you will be disappointed with the result, because you will get an image quality as same as the much cheaper lens.
The lens has a well-designed body that feels rock-solid and compact. All the features work very well for your camera.
- Using on Full-frame cameras, the image is as clear as the eyes.
- It gives a very beautiful color and bokeh.
- It’s worth every penny.
- The AF motor is loud.
- It’s big and heavy.
Is a 50mm focal length is a good lens for street photography?
Yes, it is. It can even give you image quality with more details
What is the best focal length for street photography?
It is recommended to use a lens with focal length from 28mm to 50mm. However, the most used one is 35mm.
What is the best lens for street photography as a travel companion?
It’s Nikon AF-S FX NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G. It is easy to carry and good handheld performance.
What is the best lens to use every day?
It is also Nikon AF-S FX NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G.
What is the best camera setting for street photography?
A: It is around f/16 on a sunny day with an ISO between 200 and 400.
Overall, choosing the best lens for street photography is very important. According to the writer, the lens we recommend the most among those products is Nikon AF-S FX NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G.
The lens is designed for travel and everyday use. It is also well-priced, great for beginners and professionals too.
Last update on 2019-10-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API