Great! 7 Best Macro Lens In the World of Photography
Mariotama – Finding the best macro lens to fit your DSLRs, mirrorless cameras, or even mobile phones can be quite a challenge. This kind of lens is not just for macro photography. You can do a lot more than that with macro lenses.
You can take some close-up photos of subjects like flowers and insects using macro lenses. It’s, in fact, great for portraits. For videography, a macro lens can also work great. There are many options of macro lens focal length for your camera.
With 50mm, you can shoot subjects as small as stamps, coins, and jewelry. With 100mm, you are able to shoot small insects, portraits, and flowers. For 160mm, you can shoot even smaller subjects like reptiles, spiders, dragonflies and many others.
The bigger the focal length means the subjects would be even closer. In this article, we will review macro lenses for all range of cameras, from DSLRs to mobile phones. Here is some of the best macro lens you should buy.
7 Best Macro Lens
1. Best for Canon: Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8
- E58 Lenscap
- Rear Lenscap E
- 1-Year Warranty
For Canon DSLRs, the Canon MP-E will always take the number one spot. A unique lens can stand out from other Canon’s macro lenses for some reasons. The main reason is that you can go for 1:1 to 5:1 magnification.
That magnification ability will be the huge plus for users who do a lot of macro photography with their Canon DSRL camera. Many macro lenses from Canon cannot reach the 5:1 magnification as this lens does. That is the impressive special feature that this macro lens has.
The minimum distance for focusing is 9.4 inches, which are also great for this kind of lens. This Canon MP-E lens uses manual focus only. That can’t be a big deal for you, can it?
- It has great specs.
- It gives great extreme close-up images.
- It is not autofocus.
- It’s not designed for beginners.
2. Best for Nikon: Nikon AF-S VR Micro-NIKKOR
- Designed for close-up and macro photography; versatile enough for virtually any photographic situation
- Maximum Angle of View (FX-format): 23°20'.Features new VR II vibration reduction technology, Focal Length : 105 mm, Minimum Focus Distance : 10 ft( 0314 m)
- Nano-Crystal coat and ED glass elements that enhance overall image quality by further reducing flare and chromatic aberrations
- Includes an internal focus, which provides fast and quiet auto-focusing without changing the length of the lens. Maximum Reproduction Ratio : 1.0x
- Weighs 279 ounces, and measures 33 x 45 inches; Made In China ;5-Year Warranty (1-Year International + 4-Year USA Extension)
What is the best macro lens for Nikon cameras? There are many options on the market to buy. Because of that, it is hard to get the perfect macro lens for you. It is a hard pick but the best macro lens for Nikon DSLRs is certainly the Nikon 105mm f/2.8 lens.
Many photographers like to use this Nikon macro lens to shoot close-up flowers. It delivers stunning image quality that looks so sharp. It makes the color of the flower more standout. The wide-open f/2.8 aperture is able to capture beautifully rendered, contrasted photos.
The VR or Vibration reduction is one of the most pleasuring features with this lens. It promises you not getting the shaky photos and an extra four stops of low-light shooting. Many macro photographers like to shoot the subject without a tripod. Well, this feature helps a lot.
The included VR makes macro lenses more useful for shooting in low-light conditions. It is the true macro lens for your Nikon DSLR cameras. The fast autofocusing in this lens makes your handheld shooting more enjoyable.
If you are a serious macro photographer who likes to take flower photos, this Nikon AF-S VR lens is for you. You can grab this macro lens from Amazon with a 10 percent discount.
- Impressive build quality that lasts longer
- VR technology is just great.
- Friendly for Handheld photographers
- The focus is quite slow.
- It’s got a lot of diffraction when using a small aperture.
3. Best for Sony E-mount: Sony SEL90M28G FE 90mm
- A perfect match for α7 series, 35mm full-frame E-mount cameras, 90mm Macro with a bright F2.8 maximum aperture, Nano AR coating effectively suppress reflections, Dust and moisture resistant design
- Minimum Focus Distance : 0.92 ft (0.28 m), Maximum Magnification ratio : 1.0x, Focal Length : 90 mm. The angle of view is 27 degree (35 mm) and 17 degree (APS-C)
- Optical Steady Shot image stabilization for handheld shooting, Instant manual/auto focus selection via a sliding focus ring, Instant manual/auto focus selection via a sliding focus ring
- Corner to corner sharpness w/ Advanced Spherical elements, Super ED glass w/ multi-coating reduces flare and ghosting, 9-blade circular aperture contributes to gorgeous bokeh
- Direct Drive SSM (DDSSM) for quiet, precise focusing; Weight: 602 g (21.3 oz)
Check out this FE 90mm macro lens from Sony. It delivers full 1:1 magnification at its minimum focus 0.28m distance. It means the macro lens can capture small objects at full life-size. The enlargement of tiny details on the results is enormous.
The body is beautifully designed which is a good point for attractiveness in the market. That includes the customizable focus button, the Optical SteadyShot, and the AF range limiter switch. All of the controls and buttons are arranged efficiently.
Besides autofocus, you can use manual focus to shoot in extreme close-up, which is preferred by most macro photographers. There is a push-pull mechanism in the focus ring for switching from manual to automatic focus modes instantly.
This Sony E-mount lens is a great combination of macro and portrait photography roles. This macro lens is designed t be flawlessly mounted on the Sony E-mount full-frame camera. However, it is quite flexible to be used with APS-C cameras.
- It delivers incredible sharpness in the picture.
- The color rendition is excellent.
- The build is very well.
- The autofocus is not fast enough.
- The critical parts made of plastic.
4. Best for Sony: Sony 100mm f/2.8 Macro Lens
- 100mm macro lens with f/2.8 maximum aperture for Sony Alpha digital SLR cameras
- Works with Super SteadyShot image stabilization system to keep image steady in low light
- Focus range limiter speeds up autofocus response; focus hold button gives you full control
- High contrast and resolution gives your shots greater visual accuracy for close analysis
- Measures 3 inches in diameter and 4 inches long; weighs 1 pound, 2 ounces
For Sony Alpha users, this macro lens is one of the best lenses on the market. You can mount a great lens on Sony a600, a6300, and a6500 for maximum autofocus performance. You can focus on objects that are a foot away from the camera.
The 1:1 reproduction ratio makes you able to make tiny objects look big with this lens. You can shoot close-ups at magnification levels from 1:1 to 1:10. For those of you who use one of those three lines, this macro lens is ready for you.
The 100mm focal length will give you more distance for macro photography. If you want something less expensive, the 50mm one can be a fine choice too. In fact, some reviewers feel that the 50mm is a bit sharper than this 100m macro lens.
If you are new to macro photography, it is recommended for you to buy a monopod or a tripod for a steady hold. Actually, this macro also already has an image stabilization system called Super SteadyShot. It will make sure your photos steady when doing handheld.
- It produces an image with extreme sharpness.
- The 1:1 magnification gives huge details.
- It seems accurate even without the micro-AF adjustment.
- The manual focus is tricky.
- It’s hard to get moving subjects like insects.
5. Best for Fuji: Fujifilm XF 80mm f/2.8 R LM OIS WR Macro Lens
- High resolving power and beautiful bokeh - an optical construction of 16 elements in 12 groups, including one aspherical Lens, one Super ED Lens, and three ED lenses has been Adopted.
- New AF System - Adopts a Floating Focus System, which divides focus lens group into "Front Focus Group" and "Rear Focus Group" and drives them depending on the shooting distance with high accuracy.
- Optical Image Stabilization - Angle shake and shift shake are suppressed by using a gyro sensor and an acceleration sensor with high accuracy, which achieves 5-stop image stabilization.
- Weather and dust resistant, -10 DegreeC/14 DegreeF low-temperature operation with fluorine coating. Angle of view is 20.1 degree
- Compatible with the XF1.4x and XF2.0x Teleconverters.Min. aperture:F22
This is the macro lens, which is designed especially for the Fujifilm X mount cameras. It offers the ability to shoot images with extreme close-up. This full macro lens by Fujifilm can deliver 1.0x magnification at the closest focus of 0.25m distance.
It is able to reproduce small objects at full life-size on the image sensor of the camera. It makes the magnification get even greater effectively when having a similar lens on a camera with a full-frame sensor. That is because of the crop factor of APS-C format.
The fact that this lens can enlarge tiny objects massively with detail is immense. It is also packed with innovative features like the newly developed AF system. It makes the lens able to utilize ceramic balls to try getting perfect accuracy and fidelity for the whole frame of the image.
This macro lens is surely one of the best because it is geared with the hybrid 5-stop image stabilizer. This technology will correct the vertical and horizontal shift like ordinary camera vibration. You can get the close-up shooting effectively and comfortably.
This Fujifilm macro lens comes with a special bundle. Inside the box, you will have the macro lens, the front lens cap, the rear lens cap, the lens hood, the pouch and wrapping cloth, and a limited 1-year warranty.
Some other items are included in your purchase on Amazon. You will have the lens cap keeper, a lens pen, a lens camera backpack, a fiber cloth, a lens dust blower, and the cleaning kit.
- It comes with a complete kit.
- It works effectively on a crop sensor and full-frame sensor.
- It has a very fine detail.
- It’s recommended for using with tripod, not handheld.
6. Best for Mobile: Apexel 5 in 1 Camera Lens Kit
- 4 Great Lenses Accessories in One Kit: Awesome mobile photography for iPhone Samsung HTC LG Google Huawei Xiaomi. Includes 4 lenses: 10x fixed telephoto lens with manual focus ring, fisheye lens, macro lens and wide angle lens.Combine with your favorite apps to share photos instantly!
- Enhanced Photography + Video: 10x telescope lens delivers superior quality pictures from a distance without you having to get too close to your subject. Fisheye can give your images a round, fish bowl effect. Macro can capture amazing close-ups in crisp detail. Wide Angle allows you to capture larger scenes. For example, long cityscapes and large group shots.
- Wireless Camera Shutter Remote: Perfect for taking selfies or group shots (including the photographer) from a distance of up to 30 feet (10 m). You only need to pair the remote control with your smartphone once. Then choose the camera app you want to use and press the button of the remote control to capture that awesome picture!
- Wide Angle and Macro Lenses in a 2-in 1 Set: These two small lenses are screwed together for easy storage. To use the wide angle, simply attach both lenses to the clip provided. To use the macro lens, simply unscrew the wide angle lens.
- Wide Range of Compatible Devices: Portable, removable and solid clip-on design that attaches to almost all smartphones including iPhone 7, iPhone 6S, 6S Plus, iPhone 6, 6 Plus, iPhone 5S, SE, Samsung Galaxy S6, S6 Edge, S7,S7 Edge, HTC, Sony, LG G6, G5 and many others.Before you use this phone lens, please remove your phone protective case in order to get better images
For those of you, mobile photographers, a macro lens is one of the most essential things to have. You can shoot with the camera on a mobile phone differently and unusually. This is a top-selling macro lens kit from Apaxel.
Besides macro lens, the kit will serve you with a fisheye lens, telephoto lens, Wide-angle lens, and a mini tripod with its remote shutter that connects with Bluetooth. The macro lens and all other lenses from Apexel kit for mobile cameras feature a removable clip-on design.
You can attach the lens to almost any smartphones, like the iPhone, Samsung, Sony, LG, HTC, and many more, as long as the mobile camera is possible to be clipped on with the lenses.
Before using it, it is better to remove the protective case of your mobile phone. Therefore, you can use the lens properly.
The macro lens will enhance the photography of your mobile phone camera with superior quality pictures from a distance. You do not need to get too close to the subjects. The macro lens is screwed with the wide-angle lens. You may need to unscrew the wide-angle to use the macro lens.
- It’s a complete kit.
- The macro lens is the champion.
- You can’t use it with the phone case on.
- It’s tricky to switch over lenses frequently.
7. Best for iPhone: Olloclip Macro PRO Lens Set
Doing macro photography with your iPhone is not impossible because there are many mobile macro lenses you can buy. Check out this award-winning macro lens made for iPhone from Olloclip. This high-quality lens slides over your iPhone camera.
It will turn your ordinary iPhone into a gadget for macro photographers. This lens is durable and it can give you the professional experience in taking tiny pictures with your iPhone. In the set, you will get three types of lenses.
The first one is the Macro 7x that works well in taking pictures with smaller details and a slightly increased magnification. The second one is the Macro 14x which is quite powerful to make out single threads on your clothes.
The last one would be the Macro 21x which is able to achieve nearly 100x magnification if you work with the digital zoom in your iPhone. You can buy this lens set on Amazon with an affordable price.
- It can be fit to iPhone that’s using slim phone cases.
- The product quality is impressive.
- You can focus perfectly with the plastic cup.
- It takes great clear photos.
- An issue using it with screen protector
- The wide-angle lens has distortion.
- It’s tricky to seat it comfortably.
What camera lens is best for close-up shots?
All of the macro lenses above deliver great close-up shots, which are supported by decent features.
Can you use a macro lens as a normal lens?
Yes, you can. You can use all macro lenses to shot objects at a normal distance. It is not designed only for a distant object or close-up shots. In fact, you shoot with macro lenses normally and you will be getting a very sharp image.
Are macro lenses good for shooting landscapes?
The landscape shootings with macro lenses would be as good as any non-macro lenses out there especially with the similar focal length.
Do you need a macro lens for macro photography?
If you want a superb quality and real macro magnification, you will need special lens, which has 100mm common focal range.
How do I choose a macro lens?
Find a lens with a 1:1 ratio to obtain extreme close-ups at the very least. Besides, you should take minimum focus distance and lens focal length into consideration.
All of the products are the best macro lens for particular reasons. You can choose one lens depending on the camera you are having. Overall, the Fujifilm XF 80mm f/2.8 R LM OIS WR Macro Lens can be named as the best one in this list compared to other products.
Last update on 2019-11-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API