Mariotama – When it comes to choosing the best portrait camera, you should consider many various factors. In this article, we have compiled some of the best cameras you might want to consider as your go-to camera to shoot portraits.
There are many options, from mirrorless to DSLR cameras, from point-and-shoot cameras to professional ones. Trying to choose the best one from all various products is quite a challenge. Therefore, we have compiled 8 of the best portrait cameras you can rely on.
8 Best Portrait Camera
1. Best for Professionals: Canon EOS 5DS R Digital SLR
- LPF (Low-pass filter) effect cancellation takes full advantage of the original resolving power of the 50.6 effective megapixels CMOS sensor, delivering even higher resolution images.
- Newly designed 50.6 Megapixel full-frame CMOS helps deliver ultra-high resolution images
- EOS Scene Detection System features a 150,000-pixel RGB+IR Metering Sensor.Purchase this product between May 1, 2016 and July 30, 2016 and get 13 months of free damage protection from Canon. The product must be registered within 30 days of the purchase date to be eligible.
- 61-Point High Density Reticular AF including up to 41 cross-type AF points and EOS iTR.Advanced mirror control mechanism and new user-selectable shutter release time lag
- Aspect ratio:3:2. Working temperature range 32-104°F/0-40°C
Without a doubt, this is the best portrait camera from Canon. This camera is equipped with a 3.2-inch display, an optical viewfinder, and a face recognition function. To support all of those cool features, you need to select the appropriate lenses among a wide range that are available.
You can customize all the settings in this camera body. You have the freedom to adjust the parameters based on the needs in your style of photography. The 50.6Mp sensor in this Canon EOS 5DS is deserved to be called as the best portrait camera for professionals.
The recommended lens you can use with this Canon EOS 5DS is the Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM. It has some excellent features with its small size and compact design. The lens delivers some shots with moderate sharpness. It is also packed with the efficient annular ultrasonic AF motor.
On Amazon, this Canon DLSR camera is available for $3.699 body only. You can get it bundled with the 50mm lens, 70-200mm tele lens, and 800mm tele lens. Alternatively, you can also buy the recommended lens separately.
- AF tracking is remarkable.
- It comes with 2 memory cards.
- There’s a mirror lock function.
- It’s moist and dustproof.
- The sharpness can get inconsistent.
2. Best for Self Portrait: Fujifilm X-T100 Mirrorless Digital Camera
- 24.2 Megapixel APS-C size sensor with Color Reproduction technology refined over 80 years. Artistic expression are made easy with the x-t100 with film Simulation and advanced filter modes
- Featuring super-fast autofocus and a variety of automatic functions, including an evolved SR+ auto mode which is capable of subject recognition together with conventional scene recognition
- Compatible with existing XF/xc Lens lineup of 26 Fujinon high quality lenses which cover focal lengths from 15mm to 1200mm (35mm equivalent)
- Features three-way tilting LCD monitor with a high resolution and high magnification (0.62x) electronic viewfinder, along with a powerful battery capable of 430 frames per charge
- Bluetooth low energy technology allows for quick and seamless image transfer.Shutter type:Focal Plane Shutter
When it comes to self-portrait, it is easy to decide the best camera for it. Well, the very first thing you need to consider is the flip screen capability. This Fujifilm camera has all you need for self-photography. It’s a point-and-shoot camera, which placed a number on the list.
The articulating slash flip screen in this Fujifilm XT-100 digital camera performs well to meet your selfie demand. Besides its original lens, this camera can also be mounted with the full range of Fujinon X-series lenses.
Moreover, the body has an attractive retro shape and useful top-dial controls. This Fujifilm digital camera is perfect for a self-portrait. It offers you the experience of holding and camera and looking at the good-looking subject on the screen at the same time.
- It has a quality build.
- It’s inexpensive for what you get.
- The viewfinder is very nice.
- The weight is relatively light.
- The recommended battery is so expensive.
- The neck strap is not comfortable.
3. Best for Beginners: Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Mirrorless
- Fine Detail Performance:16 megapixel Micro Four Thirds sensor with no low pass filter resulting in a near 10 percent boost in fine detail resolving power over existing 16 megapixel Micro Four Thirds sensors
- Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera Kit: With two super compact lenses 12 32mm F3.5 5.6 and 45 150mm F4.0 5.6, shoot lighter and faster with the modern hybrid photography performance of a mirrorless camera and nearly half the bulk of most DSLRs
- Class Leading Dual Image Stabilization: In body 5 axis dual image stabilization works in both photo and motion picture recording—including 4K video—to produce clear handheld shots even in low light conditions. Battery AC Adaptor (Input 110 240V AC) (Included, connect with USB cable). Battery life (CIPA standard) Approx. 290 images (rear monitor), 270 images (LVF) with H FS12032
- Live Viewfinder and Tilting LCD Display: Integrated eye level electronic viewfinder (2764K dots) and rear touch enabled 3 inch LCD display (1040K dots) provides 80 degrees of up tilt and 45 degrees of down tilt to maximize viewing. Recording media-(Compatible with UHS-I UHS Speed Class 3 standard SDHC / SDXC Memory Cards). Direct Print-PictBridge compatible
- 4K VIDEO CAPTURE: 4K QFHD video recording (3840 x 2160), plus exclusive LUMIX 4K PHOTO and 4K Post Focus allows you to record photos up to 30fps and set your desired focus points after the photo has been taken.Minimum Aperture:F22
There many cameras for beginners that are released from various brands like Nikon, Canon, Sony, and many others. For beginners, they want a camera that delivers high-quality images and easy operation. It is great to have everything in automatic and no complicated controls.
The point-and-shoot camera has the simplicity and portability that many beginners want. They want a camera that they can slip into the bag or even a pocket. It does not mean that they are not open to having a more versatile option like a “system” camera with interchangeable lenses.
It’s one of the best mirrorless camera designed to satisfy beginners. This Panasonic Lumix camera comes with 12-32mm lens that works perfectly for both stills and video. The body is pretty small and slim. It is a lot more compact and lightweight compared to DSLRs.
It features an electronic viewfinder with high resolution and a tilting screen that operates with a touch. The most important thing about this Panasonic camera is its beginner-friendly interface, which is clear and simple.
This point-and-shoot camera will shot your portrait images with high quality. You can even shoot portrait videos in 4K resolution. Isn’t it awesome?
- It can shoot in 4K.
- The lens is retractable.
- It’s packed with a tilting touchscreen.
- Capturing great photos and videos is so easy.
- It’s just tilting, not fully articulated.
- The resolution of the 16M still is quite low.
4. Best Compact: Leica Q2 Digital Camera
- Leica Q2 digital camera (Black anodized)
The very first thing you need to know that this camera is a luxury option of the compact camera for portrait photography. If you are on a budget, you might want to go with other options. It is one of the Q-series from Leica. It is the most expensive one in the series.
Leica Q2 features 47MP CMOS sensor with no optical low-pass filter. This compact camera was first introduced in March 2019. This camera allows you to shoot at maximum 8368p x 5584p resolution with 3:2 aspect ratios.
For the record, this camera isn’t the highest resolution full-frame camera. The leader in this class is the A7R IV from Sony that has 61.0 sensors. It is equipped with an anti-aliasing filter. It improves the sharpness and detail level of your images.
This compact camera will cost you a lot of money but it is all worth it. You will be served with such amazing image quality from decent and fancy features.
- It has built-in Wi-Fi.
- The manual exposure and focusing works perfectly
- You can time-lapse recording with this camera easily.
- It has long battery life, perfect for travel.
- It’s compact but heavy.
- It’s got no articulating screen.
5. Best Budget: Panasonic Lumix ZS50 Camera
- 12. 1 Megapixel sensor delivers high resolution photos with fewer image artifacts
- 30x (24mm) LEICA DC Lens optical zoom performance is ideally suited for travel and everyday photography
- Enhanced low light sensitivity for improved sharpness even without a flash
- Built-in eye viewfinder eliminates outdoor glare on sunny days
- Light Speed Auto Focus and 10fps High Speed Burst Shooting for perfectly focused images every time
If you are on a budget, but still wanting to capture great moments with a decent camera, here comes this super-affordable camera. It is packed with a 30x optical zoom with a built-in electronic viewfinder.
This superzoom compact has a 12.1MP sensor with a 24-720mm lens and wide f/3.3-6.4 aperture. This Panasonic Lumix camera is labeled as the best friend for traveling. This Lumix ZS50 broadens your horizons with fantastic detail. This compact camera is packed with many useful features.
You can capture stunning photos even in low light. That is because of the high sensitivity MOS sensor inside the camera. The lens has a mounted control ring for easy manual control to reach desired focus, zoom, and exposure.
This budget camera will get you to experience the action because of the high-speed autofocus and 10fps burst shooting. It is not just about the photos. This camera can record footage with 100fps in HD resolution.
If you’re looking for a digital camera that fits in your bag and pocket to accompany your traveling, Panasonic gives you this camera.
- It takes good photos in most conditions.
- The viewfinder is still clear under bright light.
- The zoom and focusing is fast and quiet.
- In shooting video, you can work with the steady shot feature.
- The keyboard in the LCD doesn’t have “Space”.
- The charging can’t be done separately.
6. Best for Studio: Nikon D850 FX-Format DSLR
- Nikon designed back side illuminated (BSI) full frame image sensor with no optical low pass filter
- 45.7 megapixels of extraordinary resolution, outstanding dynamic range and virtually no risk of moiré
- Up to 9 fps1 continuous shooting at full resolution with full AF performance
- 8K6 and 4K time lapse movies with new levels of sharpness and detail; File system : DCF 2.0, Exif 2.31, PictBridge
- Tilting touchscreen, Focus Shift shooting mode, outstanding battery performance and much more; Total Pixels: 46.89 million
When it comes to photo studio, you might want to look for a camera body that is designed for model photography or portrait. This Nikon D850 is one of the top-rated ones in the business. It is equipped with excellent features for shooting high-quality photos.
The D850 camera body is like the next evolution in high-res DSLR cameras. The 45.7MP sensor allows you to shoot photos with brilliant resolution. To reach the extreme resolution, the camera also needs to reach the extreme speed.
In this Nikon camera, the manufacturer decided to give the new technology called the BSI (Backside illuminated). This is the first full-frame camera to have this BSI technology. It enhances light gathering efficiency, data readout, and color. The image result will be extraordinary.
For the procession, the D850 is richer, faster, and sharper compared to the previous version. The performance of autofocus is improved too; you can even focus easily in low light. You can keep up with the action in front of you with up to 7fps at 45.7MP resolution.
- It’s rated 5 stars on Amazon.
- It delivers the incredible quality of an image.
- The autofocus is so fast.
- The rear tilting screen is a touchscreen and it feels like touching the iPhone screen.
- There’s no image stabilization built-in.
- It’s got no focus peaking when shooting 4K video.
7. Best Mirrorless: Sony a7 III Full-Frame Mirrorless
- Advanced 24.2MP BSI Full frame Image Sensor w/ 1.8X readout speed Advanced 24.2MP Back Illuminated 35 millimeter Full frame Image Sensor Sony test conditions. Compare to the 7 II
- 15 stop dynamic range, 14 bit uncompressed RAW, ISO 50 to 204,800. Compatible with Sony E mount lenses. Can be connected via Bluetooth with smartphones featuring (as of the date of release)- Android (Android 5.0 or later, Bluetooth 4.0 or later), iOS (Bluetooth 4.0 or later)
- Up to 10fps Silent or Mechanical Shutter with AE/AF tracking. Battery Life (Still Images): Approx. 610 shots (Viewfinder) / approx. 710 shots (LCD monitor), Battery Life (Movie, continuous recording): Approx. 200 min (Viewfinder) / Approx. 210 min (LCD monitor)
- 693 phase detection / 425 contrast AF points w/ 93 percent image coverage. Focus Sensor: Exmor R CMOS sensor
- In the box: Rechargeable Battery (NP FZ100), AC Adapter (AC UUD12), Shoulder strap, Body cap, Accessory shoe cap, Eyepiece cup, Micro USB cable.Metering Type:1200 zone evaluative metering
This mirrorless camera is an amazing deal you will make for the price. It is like having an affordable camera with all the features of the best Sony full-frame camera. This Sony a7 III is packed with a 24MP sensor with 693 AF point system.
A combination of those two features will deliver great image quality for any imaginable scenario like extreme sports, daily photography, studio, outdoors, and of course portraits. It has a great dynamic range, detail, and colors.
This mirrorless camera can shoot 10fps, which is more than enough for portrait photography. It has a respectable buffer size and you can take images for nearly 17 seconds before it fills. Therefore, good memory cards would be required.
This camera has two slots of SD card to support your photo storage. The reason why this camera is the best one for the portrait because its perfect mix of features that comes with a low price.
- The autofocus is amazing.
- The menu, ergonomics, and color have improved.
- The battery life is long.
- There’s only one UHS slot.
8. Best Entry Level: Canon EOS Rebel T5 Digital SLR Camera
- 18 megapixel CMOS (APS-C) sensor with DIGIC 4 image processor
- EF-S 18-55mm IS II standard zoom lens expands picture-taking possibilities
- 3-inch LCD TFT color, liquid-crystal monitor for easy viewing and sharing
- EOS 1080p full HD movie mode helps you capture brilliant results
- Features include continuous shooting up to 3fps, Scene Intelligent Auto mode, creative filers, built-in flash and feature guide
If you are looking for the best portrait camera as a starter, Canon EOS Rebel T5 is the right gear for you. This camera is known as one of the entry-level cameras on the market. A crop sensor camera has 18MP with the 100-12,800 ISO sensitivity.
You will be able to shoot in low light even without a flash. The controls are simple and very straightforward. It would be a great switch if you already have a Canon compact or DSLR. It is equipped with 3inch-LCD screen that is combined with a large optical viewfinder.
It has a 9-point AF system to support your flexibility in taking portrait shots. Even though it is an entry-level camera, it delivers quality photos under various conditions. The battery life is enough to take around 500 photos.
On Amazon, you can buy the camera from other stores other than Canon’s store.
- It is easy to use.
- It takes awesome pictures, especially portrait.
- It’s affordable for mint condition.
- It doesn’t include SD card in the package.
What camera do most professional photographers use for portraits?
The Canon EOS 5DS R Digital SLR would be the best choice for professional photographers to take portrait photos.
Which cameras have portrait mode?
Some cameras have a special mode for portrait shots. It is mostly found in mobile phones. However, you can give your DSLRs and Mirrorless camera you have the best settings to take portraits.
What are the best settings for portraits photography?
It is best to set the wide aperture to be around f/2.8-f/5.6. It will capture a shallow field depth with bokeh background.
What is the best lens for full-body portrait photography?
The most recommended lens would be the Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II
Which focal length is best for portraits?
On a crop sensor, you can have the focal length around 56mm and the 85mm is recommended for a full-frame sensor.
Overall, all the cameras above are great for portrait photography. Deciding which one is the best portrait camera of all the best products is not easy. All of those cameras on the list are the best one depending on the needs.
However, we need to choose the best of the best. According to the lines of features, reviews, ratings, and budget, it’s the self-portrait camera, Fujifilm X-T100.
Last update on 2020-04-07 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API